Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airventure - Bigger is not better

Quote Originally Posted by Contrailing View Post
    Warbirds on the other hand... T-6's taking liberty with their status throughout the show just coming and going... the noise alone got old on day 2 and I'm an airplane guy! .
    I am not sure what your complaint is. DURING the airshow they are not taking advantage of their "status." They are launching and recovering for their part in the airshow. Different T-6's have different parts at different times. With VERY RARE exceptions -- which have to be individually approved by the FAA -- no one "comes and goes" during the air show, just airshow launch and recovery. If you are talking about in the morning before the airshow, they are taking off to rehearse and work out the bugs from the previous performance. Same for the P-51's and other formation aircraft.

My wife tells me that one of the things she likes the best about Oshkosh in the 6 am Merlin engine alarm clock -- as the P-51s depart for their formation practice.

To go back to the original post, I do wonder when attendance will become so large that it will no longer be enjoyable for anyone.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Contrailing View Post
    Lucky best describes my experience arriving to HBC on the Thursday before the skies opened up. The turf was in great shape before the rain and surprisingly after... just a little soft. My wife and I felt for everyone who wasn't as fortunate and had to hold in limbo at area fields just waiting for good news so they could fire up and make a run for Fiske. North 40 filled completely up when we went to dinner... so many planes and the EAA grounds crews just hung in there and got people into their tiedowns as quickly as possible. Tireless individuals those ground guys.. Warbirds on the other hand... T-6's taking liberty with their status throughout the show just coming and going... the noise alone got old on day 2 and I'm an airplane guy! I like the yoedler waking me up everyday in HBC. That tradition (if it is one), should never stop.
    Round enines are never "noise."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    Round enines are never "noise."
    No, but the supersonic props get there quickly.
    Bryan

Houston

Bingo

I am never on the grounds without a pair of Howard Leight banded earplugs within easy reach. Low cost & effective. When you're there for 9 days, at some point, at least perhaps only for ME, jets and ultra loud prop planes performing just become annoying noise. The HL's do the trick.

I saw several parents on the grounds wise enough to have muffs for their young ones. Once you suffer hearing loss, it doesn't come back. I'm almost surprised some shrewd vendor isn't selling cheapie foam plugs at the gates.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Inner-Aural-Earplugs-QB1HYG/dp/B00AEFB0MS/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=howard+leight&qid=1565361839& s=hi&sr=1-11
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Although very cool to see this year, my family is hoping next year's theme is "Year of the Glider/Balloon" vs "Year of the Fighter" to give our ears and bodies a break from the continuous after-burners this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Did you notice that homebuilt parking and homebuilt camping were both open Sunday afternoon and Monday, whereas a lot of the vintage and GA stuff wasn't? I'm guessing that was a version of off-the-record priority. I appreciated it when I landed my RV-6 at about 7:40 on Sunday evening.
    Nope, I think it is because the HBP/HBC areas were a lot dryer. Theis area is pretty nice hardpack and the access lanes are actual roads/taxiways unlike much of vintage and the North 40. We actually had a decent amount of space in Vintage that you couldn't get into because there was no taxi route that wasn't underwater. Much of Vintage/South40 is hayfield most of the year. THe North 40 is still suffering from some drainage issues created when the airport realigned some of the taxiways last year.

You can schedule dates for a massive event, you can publish arrival guidelines till the cows come home, but Mother Nature always gets the deciding vote. so there's not much the best planning and wishes can do when airplane parking grounds are turned into rice paddies. It is a simple reality that HBC/HBP occupy higher ground than many other areas, meaning they drain quicker and dry faster.

No conspiracy, just topography,
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    No, but the supersonic props get there quickly.
    T-6 is my favorite airplane, and the noise it makes is a big part of it. Plus they are yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Once you suffer hearing loss, it doesn't come back. I'm almost surprised some shrewd vendor isn't selling cheapie foam plugs at the gates.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Inner-Aural-Earplugs-QB1HYG/dp/B00AEFB0MS/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=howard+leight&qid=1565361839& s=hi&sr=1-11
    What did you say?