Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concessions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Concessions...

Lots of complaints heard about the concessions. Food quality is over-all just lacking on many levels. Some commented that it felt as if they were at a county fair. I'd say it wasn't fresh and grossly over-priced. Why can't EAA allow area food trucks to participate in a common area like a food court? Lots of food trucks have seriously good food and the variety would be incredible. Yeah, I hear the old crowd already... "oh this year was the best food year ever"... Maybe it was for you but what does your waistline measure? Maybe some like cold fish ($16), room temperature fries ($6), rubbery fried chicken ($12), etc. Go ahead... pile on the comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Contrailing View Post
    Lots of complaints heard about the concessions. Food quality is over-all just lacking on many levels. Some commented that it felt as if they were at a county fair. I'd say it wasn't fresh and grossly over-priced. Why can't EAA allow area food trucks to participate in a common area like a food court? Lots of food trucks have seriously good food and the variety would be incredible. Yeah, I hear the old crowd already... "oh this year was the best food year ever"... Maybe it was for you but what does your waistline measure? Maybe some like cold fish ($16), room temperature fries ($6), rubbery fried chicken ($12), etc. Go ahead... pile on the comments...
    Great idea. However, I do not believe the local food trucks could afford what the eaa (note lowercase) would charge them just to pass through the main gate. And, God help any of them if any of their employees do not have the weekly wrist band. Too bad. Again, GREAT IDEA!!!

I don’t go to EAA expecting fine dining. I expect pretty much what is provided and I am extremely grateful for the variety over what was the situation only a few years ago. I actually come to Wisconsin for the bratwurst, so I am never disappointed. Beer was a plus this year! Beer, brats, sauerkraut. Add DECENT pizza and life would be perfect. Oh, and apple pie.

or you can buy your lunch at the Sacred Heart stand. Dinner options abound, including EXCELLENT pizza, just outside of the airport.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    ..... I actually come to Wisconsin for the bratwurst, so I am never disappointed. Beer was a plus this year! Beer, brats, sauerkraut. Add DECENT pizza and life would be perfect. Oh, and apple pie.

or you can buy your lunch at the Sacred Heart stand. Dinner options abound, including EXCELLENT pizza, just outside of the airport.
    Concur with Sacred Heart. On the subject of Brats, I was very disappointed this year. On Sunday before the open, I stopped at the Homebuilder's Cafe (why oh why did they have to tear down all the trees?) and saw a brat listed. I figured I might as well start the week off right, so I ordered one. No charring, not cold, but not hot either. Volunteered most days, so was fed well. Thanks! Then on my last day there, I was walking with my wife past the A&W in the Fly Market. Figured I had to have at least one more brat, but what I received was weird. Again, no char, no "bite", just a bland sausage. *sigh*

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Everyone raved about the BBQ foods at Parker John's by the Ultralight flightline. And I mean everyone. Last year they had two locations, this year just the one, but it was always packed with happy customers.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-31-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I guess everyone missed the brats behind the Ford and EAA Member services tent.

Pretty darned good.

And six bucks a pop didn't shake me one bit, as it's a concession at a closed area....just pretend you're buying lunch at an airport concourse and you'll be thankful it's so cheap!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Everyone raved about the BBQ foods at Parker John's by the Ultralight flightline. And I mean everyone. Last year they had two locations, this year just the one, but it was always packed with happy customers.
    They did have a second spot. Over by the Exhibit Buildings. In that strip of restaurants. Food was great!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    (why oh why did they have to tear down all the trees?)
    The L Birds tree being removed broke my heart a bit. I would would walk down to warbirds every morning, and as around 10 would the sun would really start baking, I'd relax under that tree for an hour or so, watching the world go by. Oh well.

By the time I got off the afternoon tram shift at 8:00pm, hobbled back to my car and headed off on my 45 mile drive back to the motel, about the ONLY available fresh hot eats were to be found at a Culver's. Over 8 nights I pretty much worked my way thru their menu - lol. I can't say I've ever come to AirVenture for the food. It's the event, the planes and the people that keep me coming back year after year. I love it.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I gotta say; I found the food more than reasonable, if a little pricey. Go to any big event (car race, Reno, state fair, etc) and the food is pricey - just par for the course. At least as OSH you can bring your own food in if you don't want to buy food on-site. Most other venues don't allow that. Breakfast at the The Pines was always good and hot. Lunch at Celebration Way was excellent. They had fresh salads too. I would be surprised if you could find a venue that serves as many people that attend OSH that offers better or cheaper food.
    Last edited by Sirota; 08-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.