Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Map Complaint...

As for my own experience, i have seen lots of maps without north at the top. Many of the National Park Service maps do not have up/north. Not all Disney park maps are north/up, either. There are others. Further, when actually USING maps, in the air or on the ground, I rarely have North at the top edge of the map as I am looking at it -- unless I am going north. Rather, the map is "oriented" (which means "to the east," which just goes to show that what we think of as standard was not always that way.) Anyway, in the ten years I have been going to Oshkosh, the top of the map being east never confused me. It never even crossed my mind that it should be any different.

Your own personal experiences may vary.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

First time at OSH? I just replaced the 2108 map with the 2019 version and the compass rose is in exactly the same place it always is. The flight line is oriented along 18/36. Another great clue. Once you have that figured out once, what's the problem?

As a tram driver, I will have to ask, why even give them out ? I have seen many in the trash, and am always getting asked at the stops, "where is such and such, which way is north, south. Does anyone these days know how to read a map ? Most of the people I have to dodge around, are walking head down and looking at phones anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As a tram driver, I will have to ask, why even give them out ? I have seen many in the trash, and am always getting asked at the stops, "where is such and such, which way is north, south. Does anyone these days know how to read a map ? Most of the people I have to dodge around, are walking head down and looking at phones anyway.
    I go every year, so I don't need the map very much any more. But, my first several years, the map was really helpful. Given that probably half of the attendees are not regulars, it is probably still a good idea to provide printed maps. Or, you could post a couple of dozen large maps at key points around the grounds.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Does anyone these days know how to read a map ? Most of the people I have to dodge around, are walking head down and looking at phones anyway.
    Maybe they need to strike up a collaboration with ForeFlight, that way people can just waypoint their destination and follow the magenta line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I go every year, so I don't need the map very much any more. But, my first several years, the map was really helpful. Given that probably half of the attendees are not regulars, it is probably still a good idea. Or, you could post a couple of dozen large maps at key points around the grounds.
    Wayfinding map signs around the (central) grounds area would be good. Simplified, "You are Here" type. Co-located with tram info maybe. As for the paper maps, the show's centerline is the main entrance along Celebration Way. This faces the show line. Infrequent/new visitors are generally looking this way when they enter and start trying to figure out what's happening. So, looking east should be map top/up.
    Bryan

Houston

I rotated mine 90 degrees clockwise.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Jack Pelton was on the local news during AirVenture week or thereabouts, and was talking about, that EAA has hired a company to find out on how to better communicate about all that is offered at EAA & AirVenture.
    Maybe they will recommend that North should on the top of all of the AirVenture maps.

Lol... I'd be disappointed if he didn't! Maybe I'll put together a draft for him with North at the top for presentation purposes. Although this could potentially represent a radical departure from what many have grown accustomed to from years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    Jack Pelton was on the local news during AirVenture week or thereabouts, and was talking about, that EAA has hired a company to find out on how to better communicate about all that is offered at EAA & AirVenture.
    Maybe they will recommend that North should on the top of all of the AirVenture maps.
    Why on earth would anybody want North on top of the grounds map? Want to see really confused people standing inside the gate going "Which way is north??" Right now, you open the map, and if standing inside the main gate, you can tell exactly which direction you should want to go, right, left, or straight ahead to the flightline. You put North at the top, more people will be lost than you North at the top seekers. If you want North at the top, rotate the map, done!