Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Map Complaint...

Or simply eliminate any compass references altogether? Most folks actually ask how to "get to" specific areas of interest anyway without regard for true direction.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

THAT'S WHY THE TRAMS STOP EVERY 10 FEET! TO ANSWER QUESTIONS WHEN A PROPERLY LAID OUT MAP WOULD'VE DONE THE JOB! Maybe you're right... just eliminate any directional reference and hope for the best... might work until some millennial drives across the runway in their golf cart with earbuds in. FEDS would come down hard on a event that otherwise does a great job self-policing. Just open ANY aviation map, WAC, Sectional, Airport diagram, Jeppesen 10-9 page, and it's all North UP! Maybe it's not about aviation nuts flying in anymore and those who do attend just drive-in and simply don't care. This was my first Oshkosh for my wife and I and we loved it. I have a hunch however,.. that the people everyone complained about slowing the TRAMS down asking, "where does this tram go" were probably first timers too. A real map would go a long ways. The APP is way bad. If you recommend using the app then you weren't using it. It lacked on several high points and so deserves it's own thread. Wait.. I think it already earned one!

I 100% disagree. The people who are asking directions, at least the vast majority of them, either don't have a map on them or haven't bothered to open it up. I volunteered in Warbirds and we were given extra maps to hand out to people who asked where they were or which way was (X). Not a one had looked at a map. No big deal, provide them directions, hand them a map (better, show them on the map and orient them to terrain features) and wish them a great Airventure.

Which way is north is completely irrelevant. Really, do you think the average -- or even the exceptional person using those maps has any idea of which way is north? Do you think they also have a compass and are shooting azimuths? Come on, it is all visual reference and THE visual reference for people coming in the gate is straight ahead, which happens to be East. (Before you chime in, yes, I know that every iPhone has a compass app.)

Honestly, if "North Up" is the biggest complaint, then Airventure must be a resounding success.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    This was my solution a couple years ago.

So, here is my proposal.
    There is a need for an orientation tent, for new AirVenture attendees.
    Something like a looping 15-20 minute video of how-to navigate the entire EAA AirVenture grounds.
    Example: Buy wristband, enter main gate, enter orientation tent near main gate.

You can read the entire THREAD HERE.

I thought it was a good idea but I really don't know what the powers at be thought of the idea.

It is always good to get the lay of the land first, so you can get your bearing. Just say'n

My Garmin GPS has north up or heading up. I think most choose heading up. Especially on approach to land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    My Garmin GPS has north up or heading up. I think most choose heading up. Especially on approach to land.
    Well back in the old days, 70's that is, we just turn the chart which ever way we were headed. I know, it's too simple !
    Bob

The "it's always been this way why change now" crowd has won... I give. I'll join the masses and just stop a tram for directions. Beats turning my map 90 degrees and trying to read the print from top to bottom. Well done fellas! See you at the tram... I'll be that guy talking to the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrailing View Post
    The "it's always been this way why change now" crowd has won... I give. I'll join the masses and just stop a tram for directions. Beats turning my map 90 degrees and trying to read the print from top to bottom. Well done fellas! See you at the tram... I'll be that guy talking to the driver.
    Well Con, I never gave it much thought, but I do wish there were signs that read, YOU ARE HERE !
    Bob, which way is North, doesn't matter, just get on the tram !

In my last few years as a conductor I've found it expedient and more helpful to begin answering the question "Where does/ which way does THIS tram go?" by simply asking "Where are trying to go?" Which is really what they want to know. And then providing them with the correct info on how to reach their destination du jour.

I 100% agree that plentiful, easy to read and informative signage is crucial to the efficient people moving process.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

No map needed... Use my method for our 10-day stays at Oshkosh for the last 21 years. Wake up, walk to the flight line where you hear all the planes. Turn right, walk all the way down to South 40. Look at planes, stop when interested. Vintage and ultralights on your right. Turn around, walk all the way down to Warbirds. Look at planes, stop when interested. Turn left, walk through North 40. Turn around, head back though experimental parking/camping, forum buildings and innovation area. Cut through to main square and exhibits. Look at new, expensive planes and plane gadgets. Turn around, head back to flight line. Repeat 4x a day minimum. Take a break during airshow if desired. Repeat daily, jump on a tram as needed that is going the same direction you are walking. If it heads a different direction as some point, hop off and see what's in that area.

Every year I claim I am going to create a daily schedule and really organize my day for efficiency and maximum experience. I show up on Day 1 and toss it in the trash and start wandering. I probably cross Randy's tram path at least 30 times a day. He probably thinks I am lost...