Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Map Complaint...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oshkosh Map Complaint...

Can we PLEASE have "North" at the top of the map? Everybody I mentioned this to during the week was in agreement that having "North" on the right margin was confusing to everybody.

That's odd...on my map North is to the left?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Yep, my bad... it's on the left margin. Same but different... should be on the top unless RWY 36 is actually 27 then just leave it the way it is. I guess the Oshkosh app designer put the map together also.

As long as I have been going to AV, the map has alway been oriented that way. Main gate at the bottom, airshow flightline at the top. Seems pretty simple to me, warbirds to the left, ultralights to the right.
    Last edited by krw920; 07-31-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Seems OK to me. Left and right as you enter the gate and walk to four corners. I think “north up” might be more confusing.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I also prefer North up but of more use would be a map of booths and tents. Vendors use these numbers to say where they are but I never found a map of them and had to wander. Or now that most people carry GPS devices we could use latitude and longitude.

First time at OSH? I just replaced the 2108 map with the 2019 version and the compass rose is in exactly the same place it always is. The flight line is oriented along 18/36. Another great clue. Once you have that figured out once, what's the problem?

As a tram driver, I will have to ask, why even give them out ? I have seen many in the trash, and am always getting asked at the stops, "where is such and such, which way is north, south. Does anyone these days know how to read a map ? Most of the people I have to dodge around, are walking head down and looking at phones anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As a tram driver, I will have to ask, why even give them out ? I have seen many in the trash, and am always getting asked at the stops, "where is such and such, which way is north, south. Does anyone these days know how to read a map ? Most of the people I have to dodge around, are walking head down and looking at phones anyway.
    I go every year, so I don't need the map very much any more. But, my first several years, the map was really helpful. Given that probably half of the attendees are not regulars, it is probably still a good idea to provide printed maps. Or, you could post a couple of dozen large maps at key points around the grounds.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I go every year, so I don't need the map very much any more. But, my first several years, the map was really helpful. Given that probably half of the attendees are not regulars, it is probably still a good idea. Or, you could post a couple of dozen large maps at key points around the grounds.
    Wayfinding map signs around the (central) grounds area would be good. Simplified, "You are Here" type. Co-located with tram info maybe. As for the paper maps, the show's centerline is the main entrance along Celebration Way. This faces the show line. Infrequent/new visitors are generally looking this way when they enter and start trying to figure out what's happening. So, looking east should be map top/up.
    Bryan

Houston