Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I.A. renewal documentation for 2011

Martymayes - thanks for the reply, so in the case of the homebuilt, an A&P can do the condition inspection for the owner that did not build the airplane? I've been an IA since 1973 and have never gotten involved in this aspect of inspection.

So, I'm stupid of the facts. You can never know enough, so I bring it up.

You sound like your right on top of the reg's. Thats pretty cool. Thanks again.
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Inspection Authorization is not required to perform an annual condition inspection on a homebuilt and no, performing an annual condition inspection on a homebuilt does not count for renwal IAW with 65.93.

Based on your other experience, I too believe you are covered.
    The requirement for an A&P to do the conditional is activity for the A&P, and that is what this is all about, being active as an A&P. If he is signing any log book in GA he is active, and with that and the refresher course he is good to go as far as renewal is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by george r. garrison vaa 58 View Post
    Martymayes - thanks for the reply, so in the case of the homebuilt, an A&P can do the condition inspection for the owner that did not build the airplane? I've been an IA since 1973 and have never gotten involved in this aspect of inspection.

So, I'm stupid of the facts. You can never know enough, so I bring it up.
    No you're not George but hang in there. Lot of part-time IA's are going to be surprised when they show up for renwal in '13 and find out it's not automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No you're not George but hang in there. Lot of part-time IA's are going to be surprised when they show up for renwal in '13 and find out it's not automatic.
    If an A&P-IA isn't smart enough to stay current with what's going on in his field of occupation, do you really want them working/inspecting your aircraft?

If the A&P-IA is only running a milling machine at some factory Why do they need their IA?

So very true.
    Dope and Fabric Guy

The FAA Activity form for IA renewal
    http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ist%20form.pdf

Tom,
    That form is the typical local FAA form for I.A. activity. (for I.A.'s that choose the option of either four annuals or eight major repairs as needed)

Do you they have a new form for the new required A&P activity? (For I.A.'s that choose the eight hour renewal option)
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Tom,
    That form is the typical local FAA form for I.A. activity. (for I.A.'s that choose the option of either four annuals or eight major repairs as needed)

Do you they have a new form for the new required A&P activity? (For I.A.'s that choose the eight hour renewal option)
    Bill
    When you attend the seminar you will receive the sign off for the remedial training, that with the IA renewal request is good to go. but if you have completed even 1 337 you can place that on the activity sheet. that alone will show you are active as an A&P.
    If you are worried about your activity as an A&P I'd call your FSDO and see what they need to prove that.
    My PMI at FSDO knows me and doesn't require that I prove any thing.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 01-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    My PMI at FSDO knows me and doesn't require that I prove any thing.
    Then you are fortunate. Not all PMI are this agreeable.
    Who knows what will be the policy in 2013? That's why standard procedures should be announced ahead of time.

The FAA may decide to enforce 65.83 which requires 6 months of A&P activity:

§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.
    A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months—
    (a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
    (b) He has, for at least 6 months—
    (1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
    (2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
    (3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
    (4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.