Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I.A. renewal documentation for 2011

I.A. renewal documentation for 2011

Attention I.A.'s

This might be a good time to check if you have met the new requirements for I.A. renewal (with less than a month of 2011 remaining).

The rules have been revised and some documentation of activity in 2011 is required. How much documentation is not clear to me.

This document seems to require the additional proof that will now be required:
    http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/New_IA_policy.pdf

The ASI may use evidence or documentation provided by the applicant showing inspection,
    overhauling, repairing, preserving, or replacing parts on aircraft or supervision of
    those activities. This evidence or documentation when required could include
    employment records showing performance or supervision of aircraft maintenance, return to
    service documents and or copies of maintenance record entries.”

The I.A. guide has been revised and split into two parts. The second part has some of the new renewal process, but is not complete, in my opinion (since it does not mention additional documentation needed in 2011):

FAA-8082-11C http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...g-8082-11c.pdf
    and
    FAA-8082-19 http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...-g-8082-19.pdf
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 12-02-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add url

I just read something the other day that for the sake of IA renewals, the "year" starts and ends with March 31 which is the last day to renew. So for the purpose of meeting the renewal requirements, you should have up until that point.

Can't remember where I read it, but can someone confirm?

Yeh, I thought of that as well. But I bet that might only mean March 31 of 2013 when the card expires. I can't say, and my hurts enough already to look it up.

The thing is, just going to the yearly 8 hour I.A Renewal like we did in the past, is not enough now.
    Need some sort of log book copies now.

I think FAA-8082-19 needs to be updated again to explain the logbook documentation requirements.
    Bill

This is more about the actively engaged. I think it means if the fsdo wants proof that you are actively engaged. I'm not sure they will want to know that at every renewel, but if they question your active engagement. The best thing would be to call your local fsdo and ask them what they want at renewel time

For most IAs nothing changed, you now must submit the required documentation to certify every two years rather than each year, but you still must prove you were active for both years. double the paper but half the stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The thing is, just going to the yearly 8 hour I.A Renewal like we did in the past, is not enough now.
    Need some sort of log book copies now.
    Bill
    That is not true bill, the training is still good enough, but you must go each year going once won't cut it for both years.
    "Actively engaged" is about your A&P not the IA.
    When you submit your application and the documentation as proof you attended the classes you are good to go.
    If the FAA requires you to prove you are active as an A&P you must be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    If the FAA requires you to prove you are active as an A&P you must be able to do that.
    That was my point Tom.
    If the FAA requests documentation from 2011, you better have it in your file.
    It will be too late if you wait till 2013 and find yourself in the position of needing to "create" some documentation from 2011.

I don't know if logbook copies will be required with the application or not. Or if it will be requested on a random basis as you suggest. How many logbook copies are required to prove "actively engaged" as an A&P?
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 12-02-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    That was my point Tom.
    If the FAA requests documentation from 2011, you better have it in your file.
    It will be too late if you wait till 2013 and find yourself in the position of needing to "create" some documentation from 2011.

I don't know if logbook copies will be required with the application or not. Or if it will be requested on a random basis as you suggest. How many logbook copies are required to prove "actively engaged" as an A&P?
    Bill
    If you are really in a position to be worried about it, call your PMI and ask. I have my activity sheet, and application ready to go long before I am required to send it in. and yes now we are required to actually have the activity sheet, SEA FSDO has been doing that a long time.
    I asked my PMI about what he thought about the change in their directions from OKC about enforcing the "Actively engaged" he simply said it's about time we can eliminate the machinists at Boeing that are not using their A&P tickets from being an IA.
    And I agree. if you are not working in the GA industry why should you keep your IA. You are actively engaged if you have a job that supports GA in any way. If you are supporting your own aircraft, you are good to go, If you are supporting a war bird activity you are good to go, If you changed your ex-brother in law's cousin's oil in their aircraft just once and logged it you are good to go.

Happy Actively engaged?

I work in Maint Control for a major air express carrier and wrench on my own aircraft and do a yearly IA seminar.

I believe I'm covered. Now, is an IA required to do an annual on a Homebuilt that now belongs to new owner that did not build it? And if so, does that count towards his activity?
    Last edited by george r. garrison vaa 58; 01-15-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Quote Originally Posted by george r. garrison vaa 58 View Post
    I work in Maint Control for a major air express carrier and wrench on my own aircraft and do a yearly IA seminar.

I believe I'm covered. Now, is an IA required to do an annual on a Homebuilt that now belongs to new owner that did not build it? And if so, does that count towards his activity?
    Inspection Authorization is not required to perform an annual condition inspection on a homebuilt and no, performing an annual condition inspection on a homebuilt does not count for renwal IAW with 65.93.

Based on your other experience, I too believe you are covered.