Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evening at Ultra Lites

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "
    3. Provide transportation for 1500 to 2000 people to the front gate after the show is over. Gotta be at least 2 miles to the bus park."

As we say in Chicago..."Good luck wit dat."

The average school bus will carry perhaps 40-50 adults. 'About' 40 fit on one of our trams. I project a round trip from the Ultralight flight line to the Main Gate or Bus Park to be well over 30 minutes at the speeds the pavement surface allows (LOTS of bumps).

IMHO - You don't have to be a mathematician or even at the level of "Jethro Cypherin' " to appreciate the impossibility of moving that many people in a reasonable amount of time over that distance. Now I'm not saying it's never gonna happen...… but it's never gonna happen. The considerable logistics requirements far exceed practical expectations. IMHO

It would...again just IMHO.... make more logistical sense to NOT run events that strand the multitudes a couple miles from their vehicles in the late evenings. Why not eliminate such scheduling or move it to "Center Stage" right in the middle of the AirShow flight line leaving just a few blocks for folks to walk through Boeing Plaza straight down Celebration Way to the Main Gate?

Never forget that Oshkosh is actually a combination of two Oneida Native American words - Oshkonna and Koshakalla - which loosely translate to 'It's gonna rain and yer gonna walk yer butt off."
    Word !

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    As for transporting people, that comes back to a larger/better overall people mover solution. This might be a subject worthy of hiring a consultant. Heck, maybe Disney even consults on this topic.
    Please not Disney! Disney has perfected the science of crowd control by managing how long people spend in transit to their destination, so only the number Disney wants are present at any time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    Please not Disney! Disney has perfected the science of crowd control by managing how long people spend in transit to their destination, so only the number Disney wants are present at any time.
    Why not Disney? Oshkosh needs a monorail. Faster and more efficient for transit and transit users and safer for pedestrians. M-I-C, see ya real soon, K-E-Y, why, because we like you....

With all the water on the grounds in recent years, how about dredging a canal? It would collect water from areas where it isn’t wanted, and Jungle Cruse type transportation could run on it. It would also separate mass transportation from the pedestrians.

When I hit the lottery I'll see what I can do about the monorail and jungle cruse.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    And they manage to keep people happy while waiting!! Perception is as powerful as reality in many cases.

Someone's gotta have some reasonable ideas for moving more people faster and safer. I'm still amazed no one has mixed it up with a John Deere tractor..... Maybe we just never hear about it.
    Bryan

Houston

There's still plenty of farmland South of the Airport. Roll out some asphalt so the dust won't be bad and make a big sidewalk to the main gate.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    There's still plenty of farmland South of the Airport. Roll out some asphalt so the dust won't be bad and make a big sidewalk to the main gate.
    An escalator !! With seats !! And a waitress, with free beer and soda !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    An escalator !! With seats !! And a waitress, with free beer and soda !!!
    I'm sure you mean a moving sidewalk, not escalator, like found at large international airports. Waitress, free beer and soda is all good.

Or as suggested, just hold all big evening events on the flight line by Boeing Plaza? In fact, come to think of it, Celebration Way would be the PERFECT location for some moving sidewalks! A pair right down the center. One going East the other West. After the evening events you could even program them both to just run westbound. Able to move huge numbers of people all day long with NO waiting and no wondering where the sidewalk will take you. lol

Now we just need to find that philanthropic bazzillionaire to fund the project..
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln