Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Tram Conductor's Perspective AV 2019

Yes, I'm afraid that WAS me - lol. "Only two types of folks come to Oshkosh, those who laugh at my crummy jokes on the tram and those who walk....you get to pick which group you're in." This year I worked Blue, Yellow, Red and even Green for a couple runs when that route was jammed with people.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid that WAS me - lol. "Only two types of folks come to Oshkosh, those who laugh at my crummy jokes on the tram and those who walk....you get to pick which group you're in." This year I worked Blue, Yellow, Red and even Green for a couple runs when that route was jammed with people.
    We rode your tram! You do a great job!
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks - I sincerely luv conducting. Give an old hambone entertainer a microphone and a captive audience and it's heaven on Earth.

Yep, I was standing there and I saw a tram conductor with a Randy name tag. ChicagoRandty? I asked. FlyingRon here!

This year there were actually three tram volunteers named Randy - so I started using ChicagoRandy early on in the week.

I should in fairness acknowledge that there are some of my fellow tram volunteers who actually dislike those of us who make jokes, point out interesting aircraft and events along the way and in general try to entertain the tram passengers each trip. They feel we should remain silent except to formally announce the tram stop arrivals and departures. I have been bored to tears riding on their trams and have also heard some of them complain about us "entertainers" to the tram bosses in stage whispers that are meant to be lough enough for all to hear.

L
    et's just say I strongly disagree with those who feel a tram ride at AirVenture should be akin to a somber trip through a mausoleum or National cemetery. Folks IMHO come to Oshkosh because they love airplanes, airplane people and want to have a fun experience. I will always continue to do my best to keep them smiling along the way.

Randy, I stood right there at the tram depot and looked up at the signs that don't give any info at all about where the tram goes, and it seems so basic and so silly. I asked two of the people who were in charge why they didn't put the destination right on the sign of the trams and got a blank response. There is a mentality that takes over when you have so many officials working hard to do a job and they see themselves as the insiders and to some extent the public as a nuisance, nevermind that without the public there would be any job to do. And by the way, A GREAT IMPROVEMENT, is the absence of that one woman who was so nasty, I didn't see her and when I asked one driver about her, he said, "I know who you mean, I think they got rid of her." "And good riddance."
    By the way we looked for you , and even asked about you but never saw you.

I can take or leave the crummy jokes, but if you are having fun and mean well, so be it. Id prefer the quiet moments unless there is some special airplane to point out.

The one thing I really get tired of is having the boss over and over dictate the same tired directions of which side to get off etc. I flew a complex airplane halfway across the country for 37 years and with some weather delays and I don't respect being treated like kindergarten.

Here is a good joke for you and its even clean, unlike most of the other airshow jokes. I just got back to my home airport yesterday, tired from the trip so went to eat Bar B Q, and on a Subaru the bumper sticker read. " I never thought I'd miss Nixon. "
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-31-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Except for the first and last Sundays I was mostly on afternoon shift, though I usually start a couple hours early to help out. Yes, the one 'dear sweet lady' is no longer on the tram team. Our loss is the world's gain - lol

As to the signage, I am lead to believe there IS an 'official' EAA signage group that oversees and approves all signs permitted at AirVenture. If I can find out who is in charge of that department I will definitely send them my suggested sign concepts for next year. Starting with building another pennant bearing kiosk at each tram stop, one for each side of the road. Then the wording I'd suggest for each sign along the way.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-31-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Yes, the additional signage would be nice on both sides of the road...but I'd rather have little signs at intervals saying "Tram stop 300 yards ahead." (etc.)

One thing I really liked is that when I rode there was a nice man saying which tram was going where in the line to get on. I don't know if he was an official volunteer or just a very nice soul.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

At the Tower and Hangar Cafe turnaround terminals, our volunteer tram workers were directing traffic and helping the folks in line with any questions.