Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Trams. Oh, those Trams

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Main problem with the buses are they are not friendly to persons with handicaps or older seniors who have trouble with the steep stairs. I have only seen one small handicap Kobusson running around and she is not usually anywhere near where people want to go.
    I noticed that in camp Scholler. We were so far back this year that I had to rely on the bus service and I am afraid to admit that I cannot negotiate the steps on the bus very good anymore. Fortunately I was picked up several times by wonderful EAA'ers with golf carts that just saw me sitting waiting for a bus.

Commercial buses - especially those with kneeling front suspensions -are a good source of transportation for the general public over any distance on good roads. School buses are great fror transporting large numbers of nimble youths to their various destinations. Neither offer the 'rapid' unloading/loading of passengers that high volumes of short distance shuttling demands.

Our tractor pulled single and tandem benched carts seem a reasonable compromise. I am not savvy enough to design a system that would be 'better' for navigating amid AirVenture's heavy pedestrian volumes while sharing its limited paved surfaces during an event of such short duration.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

By "tandem" do you mean a "double" trailer? Or even triple trailers like semis do.
    That would increase the passenger numbers since pedestrians get out of the way and stay out longer.
    On the other hand, a more frequent tram with fewer seats has advantages. This is beyond me also.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "
    they can continue the policy of discontinuing the tram service through those few blocks that they did this year right after the airshow finale."

When EAA security closes off Celebration Way to cross traffic each year for the special evening events, ALL the trams that operate North of there, Yellow, Red and Green, go out of service till the next morning.
    Frankly, I'd be happy if they ran the Red tram to the tower and started the Yellow tram down by the Scholler-gate/ Exhibit building area and make people walk the four blocks in between.

I hear what you're saying Ron, but the issue is we can't leave any trams stranded north of Celebration Way. Volunteers are waiting for all the units for washing and fueling chores. Tram service actually only shuts down a half-hour early for those evening events as it is. We always shut down by 8:00 pm every day.

We almost had enough rain for it to happen this year, but on hot years I have always dreamed of a lazy river type canal you cold grab an tube and float down. The tire companies could provide the tubes as advertising...

I can do without the evening airshows. It's all a little too much anyway. Back in the day you had to be directly associated with aviation in some way to access the flightline. You felt some assurance that your personal airplane wasn't going to be treated like a factory demonstrator and convention goes wouldn't be lighting up under your wing. Today, there is no way I'd be bring my airplane to the convention and parking it anywhere near show central. It's just my opinion that one reason that EAA opened up the flightline to every Tom, Dick and Hairy (dogs) was in the interest in generating revenue. Their three ring circus is getting out of control and I think Paul was starting to realize that in the end. I like that they have KidVenture and the drive in theater in the evening but honestly, the evening airshow bores me to death. And for my final complaint, and then I'll shut up, I could go an entire convention without the Shell Aero Team and be perfectly happy. Give the Convention back to the Builders.

I'll second that Ron about the Shell Aero Team! T-6 prop noise is serious noise pollution. Warbird? Na... it's just a trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Franck View Post
    I can do without the evening airshows. It's all a little too much anyway. Back in the day you had to be directly associated with aviation in some way to access the flightline. You felt some assurance that your personal airplane wasn't going to be treated like a factory demonstrator and convention goes wouldn't be lighting up under your wing. Today, there is no way I'd be bring my airplane to the convention and parking it anywhere near show central. It's just my opinion that one reason that EAA opened up the flightline to every Tom, Dick and Hairy (dogs) was in the interest in generating revenue. Their three ring circus is getting out of control and I think Paul was starting to realize that in the end. I like that they have KidVenture and the drive in theater in the evening but honestly, the evening airshow bores me to death. And for my final complaint, and then I'll shut up, I could go an entire convention without the Shell Aero Team and be perfectly happy. Give the Convention back to the Builders.
    There is no KidVenture in the evening. KidVenture closes at 3:30pm.

I'm guessing Ron meant the "Fun Fly Zone" - a name not in common parlance, since everyone I've run into asks about Ultralights. lol

On my strongly disliked list would be those Aero Shell needless noise makers, the dopey Yak 110, and thankfully missing this year was the Imodium Links Jet assisted biplane.