Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trams. Oh, those Trams

I've only been attending the event since 2000 so I don't know if this scenario has ever been tried: Create 2 independent tram lines. One runs N-S on Wittman and the other runs N-S on Knapp. This eliminates all tram transfers. Keep the Green line to the Bus Park.

my $.02

Steve, Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they've ever ran a tram on Wittman Rd. north of the Vintage Barn and I doubt that they ever will. Just too many pedestrians along the route you suggest. I could be wrong but for the most part I think carts and gators are also prohibited from traveling a section of your proposed route as well.

Interesting idea, though it would require EAA to lift the existing bans on vehicle travel on Wittman from the P1 taxiway to Vern Ave. And of course Knapp from the Tower to Vern. Where do you envision the turn-arounds and end points to be then placed for those two separated routes? I'm presuming you'd have no means for folks on the East route to get on the West one beyond hiking?

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVenture/PlanYourTrip/AirVenture2019Map.ashx
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Trams are essential no doubt but considering a reroute perhaps at the perimeter would make it more efficient in not only moving people more quickly across greater distances but also decongesting the main pedestrian thoroughfares. This proposal would likely be challenging to layout unless some "dyed in wool" opinions about years past were put to rest. Its no accident how Airventure became the premier Aviation event it is however fresh input should be encouraged not discounted as "must be your first year" kind of rhetoric. My .02...

The problem area will always be what tram service calls the Yellow route, stage center, with the highest concentration of pedestrians, vendors, mobility scooters, golf carts, service trucks and of course our trams trying to occupy the same space at the same time. It is the nature of the beast we call "Oshkosh".

For this once-a-year event, that lasts only 7 days, and is kept operating by mostly all volunteers in small town America? I'm saying that each year AirVenture is a resounding success.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The problem area will always be what tram service calls the Yellow route, stage center, with the highest concentration of pedestrians, vendors, mobility scooters, golf carts, service trucks and of course our trams trying to occupy the same space at the same time. It is the nature of the beast we call "Oshkosh".

For this once-a-year event, that lasts only 7 days, and is kept operating by mostly all volunteers in small town America? I'm saying that each year AirVenture is a resounding success.
    Agree, 100%!

Express trams could use the taxiway.

I just did a survey on tram service which seemed to focus on whether or not a fee to ride trams could be justified. Not sure if they are trying to discourage tram riding or looking at the possibility of having a commercial transportation company come in a run the trams (high speed tram? lol) or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Express trams could use the taxiway.
    Oh, and then what do we do with the aircraft?

The bigger problem is the FAA (and I'm sure the insurers) have strict rules about who can be forward of the burn line and in what circumstance.

I completed the tram survey last night. Some thoughts:
    1. My group arrived Friday the 19th. That day wasn't on their list of arrival day choices.
    2. Every question concerned Monday. They skipped the rest of the week.
    3. To steal a line from Caddyshack, "I ain't payin' 50 cents for no coke."