Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf carts and scooters

Shocked Golf carts and scooters

While watching the web cam in Vintage, I noticed two or three golf carts bringing people there and dropping them off. Also, I noticed several scooters ridding back and forth in that one area and I figured they were staff or volunteers. But, I didn't see any orange or yellow vest, no red shirts or anything to designate, Airventure personnel. This was in the Vintage camping area but I didn't think vehicles were allowed in areas where planes were parked. Anybody know ?
    Bob

Banned
    I think there's more vehicular traffic of all kinds on the grounds this year than in the past. Between the trams, the four wheelers, the golf carts(big and small) and the scooters, it's a wonder people don't get hit and seriously injured.

You may have seen a diagonal taxiway from the flightline that cuts through vintage westward towards Wittman Ave. I've seen scooters and carts here.

Not that I would know anything about this (ahem), but many OSH diehards are getting up in years and getting less mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnes612 View Post
    Not that I would know anything about this (ahem), but many OSH diehards are getting up in years and getting less mobile.
    I completely understand that dbarnes612. I'll hit 73 in two months and last year I curtailed my ramblings at A/V quite a bit because of what I thought was a leg problem, only to find out months latter, it's a hip problem. I was always under the assumption that personal vehicles, golf carts, scooters etc. weren't allowed outside of Camp Scholler. Anyway, I plan to be there next year.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnes612 View Post
    The mobility scooters are not a problem at all. It's the golf carts and utvs being driven all over the place with no visible purpose and carrying nothing but people with no visible credentials.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 07-29-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    Bryan

Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    The mobility scooters are not a problem at all. It's the golf carts and utvs being driven all over the place with no visible purpose and caring nothing but people with no visible credentials.
    That's the ones I was referring to Low Pass, thank you.
    Bob

As a tram driver, I have noticed a lot of the rental scooters being used by younger people who apparently hate to walk anywhere. , and people who could really use them having to do without, A lot of the traffic are alleged "VIP's who are allowed to go where that want, block the road so they can talk to their friends, or just be a nuisance in general.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As a tram driver, I have noticed a lot of the rental scooters being used by younger people who apparently hate to walk anywhere. , and people who could really use them having to do without,
    Let's not rush to judgement. Can't judge a book by it's cover. Young people can also have mobility issues that are not visible. At the rental place outside the main gate, there's no shortage of mobility scooters, most people rent them online in advance.

And yes, I'm one of those Oshkosh diehards who's getting up in age who may need one in the future. I'm going to be 70 in 2 days, thankfully I have no mobility issues. I walk a lot and everywhere at Osh, don't use the trams.

I have an app on my phone that records steps and Kms travelled. For example on Wed. July 24 at Osh I took 20,046 steps and walking distance was 10.9 Kms.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 07-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I think that the vehicular problem this year was NOT as bad as last year. I did a lot of walking this week because I didn’t have time to take the tram between 4 corners and Warbirds (so I got a lot of steps in, too!) That is good because I don’t even try to count calories during this week. Anyway, the powered carts seemed a lot less intrusive this year.

There were those who made a disproportionate impact. It would be interesting to try to implement a “no passing” rule for them. Even the effort would improve safety.

i do know that a youth got his foot run over, but not by a golf cart — it was by one of the Model T’s. I think they were a bit more inconvenient this year.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    I think that the vehicular problem this year was NOT as bad as last year. I did a lot of walking this week because I didn’t have time to take the tram between 4 corners and Warbirds (so I got a lot of steps in, too!) That is good because I don’t even try to count calories during this week. Anyway, the powered carts seemed a lot less intrusive this year.
    Agree. Vehicular traffic wasn't nearly as bad this year as in years past.

One thing I would get a better handle on is the pedestrian footpaths alongside the main N/S walk South of the square. There are people on both sides of the path plus vehicular traffic in both directions. Add in a stopped tram or golf cart, and you need 5 lanes so traffic can flow.