Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airplane raffle / sweepstakes

What's the certification category of the airplane? Is it an SLSA? Doesn't sound like it was would qualify as EAB, and I suspect it's not Standard category.

Edit: Never mind, I found it: SLSA.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-11-2020 at 12:34 PM.

That is beautiful. $85,000 is a big number, but I wish I could go out to the airport and spend a half hour up sightseeing in a J 3 right now, today. It is a bit of magic, and that one even has the correct wooden prop on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    What's the certification category of the airplane? Is it an SLSA? Doesn't sound like it was would qualify as EAB, and I suspect it's not Standard category.

Edit: Never mind, I found it: SLSA.

Ron Wanttaja
    Are you talking about the current raffle aircraft? This one?

Brian K. Schermerhorn

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Are you talking about the current raffle aircraft? This one?
    Yes...missed the bullet point about SLSA when I read it on my phone. Noticed it when I read it later on the desktop.

Ron "Squinty" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    In the old raffle, one could enter simply by filling out a card. No donation was required. While there may have been 871,000 entries, doubtful a $1 donation accompanied each ticket.
    The EAA plays the no donation required gambit for two reasons: one it avoids them running afoul of rules in states where a raffle (even to benefit a non-profit, i.e., void where prohibited by law). Second, it allows them to claim that any donations that accompany the raffle tickets are tax deductible. If it were a normal raffle, the fact that you have a chance of winning something, negates it being a donation and you can not deduct it.

I agree with the OP, a buck, five, even ten was a easy way to contribute to EAA and a dream of maybe winning a plane. Who wouldn’t like that? 100 is just too big a chunk and it just adds another log to the fire about EAA just chasing money and leaving the little guy behind.

If they were truly having issues with people taking possession of the plane then they should offer a lesser cash prize as an alternative. If you want the plane the rule should be you take possession at the next AV. The prize plane is then essentially built to order. And EAA gets another PR moment. It also gives the winner some time to get their finances & funds in order.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I saw the raffle last year. Didn't give it much thought, just spent my money somewhere else.

I heard a couple of different commentators remark that when raising money for political candidates, the $20 donors are more important than the donors who give much larger amounts. The reason being that there are fewer willing to donate a large amount whereas as most potential voters for a candidate are willing to donate smaller amounts. Then, it is difficult to go back to the well with the larger donors, but you can do that several times with the smaller donors. If this is true for political candidates, it is probably much the same for raffle ticket donations.

There are probably more similarities than that, they but they don't immediately come to mind. I am sure that the two Ron's will have something to say on that ;-)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Yeah I heard the same thing. Think it’s a different situation for politicians.
    A. Gives the average guy a way to “buy” into a campaign.
    B. It’s easier to go back and ask for another contribution from the low dollar contributors.
    B. Bolsters the contributor numbers for those that want to go the PAC donation route.

For a raffle where the ticket prices get above say $20 it’s kinda a once and done mindset. Ever wonder why the Girl Scout don’t sell $100 boxes of cookies?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I agree with you guys, Im not buying a $100 ticket. We have a charity duck raffle here, really a fun thing, you buy a duck and its numbered and one day all the ducks are dumped into the river to float to the finish, then a fair type party. First prize is a brand new Jeep or other car worth about $20,000. I buy to support the kids but only a couple of $10 tickets. Had a friend win it one year, but not me.
    At our convenience store, gas station, I see lots of people, almost all Hispanic buy lottery tickets, seems they are spending bout $10-20 bucks. Not much chance of winning, I guess they can hope. Once had the person in front of me win a lottery ticket, but only for $25. We had a kid in junior high school who with his family used to enter virtually every small contest in town, and they won a lot. I know one year they won 2 or 3 of them, I recall a brand new deep freezer and next year even a Chrysler. It seemed almost supernatural. No state lotteries back then.
    One thing about the public lotteries now is there might be one prize of $80 million, but only one. So one person wins more than they really have any use for and all the others left out. Let's pick an amount that sets you up for life, probably $10 million buys a great house, and sends 3 kids to college, an airplane and you invest the other $5 million. So lets have 8 winning tickets for $10 million and thus help more people. You could have 80 for $1 million each, but these days that is not enough to change a whole familes life, I think $10 million is a good number.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-02-2020 at 09:41 AM.