Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airplane raffle / sweepstakes

Airplane raffle / sweepstakes

Can't make the show this year, or else I'd investigate myself.

I've seen some hints on social media about the new airplane raffle. It's a different format: limited number of tickets, and more expensive tickets.

But does anyone know - does this replace the traditional EAA Sweepstakes? I guess all things change, but as a kid those $1 tickets bought me a LOT of dreams. I kind of hate to see that go...
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Right. It's now 4000 tickets at $100 each. I guess they'll need a much smaller Oshkosh cement mixer to dispense the winning ticket.
    https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...Raffle-of-2019

I heard that on EAA Radio Monday morning.
    It will be interesting to see how that system works compared to getting many more small donation tickets. Maybe interest declined so they're trying something new.

Another thing is due to the raffle rules tickets have to be purchased in Wisconsin, so no more mailing them in.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-22-2019 at 11:13 PM.

I don't like the new format at all. I could usually spring for $20 or $30 for sweepstakes tickets, but not $100. They're advertising that the chances are better with the limited number of tickets, but for many of us they have decreased our chances to 0!

A few years ago at Oshkosh my dad and I stayed longer than usual and saw the drawing take place. There were 871,000 entries if I remember right. That might not be right but that’s the number I remember. I bought 20 bucks worth and I remember thinking I just wasted my 20 bucks. I’d rather have a legitimate shot at a prize like the young eagles mustang for 100 bucks then to buy 20 bucks in tickets only to find out I’m up against 871,000 others that did the same thing.

If Mark17 #s are accurate, the accountant in me says the new raffle is a much better value; although still primarily a donation to EAA. if we assume a $150,000 value on the airplane in both scenarios. in his scenario you're getting a prize value of 17.2 cents per dollar. (150,000/871,000) under the new rules, assuming it fully sells out, it would be 37.5 cents per dollar (150,000/400,000).

However, I'm a little skeptical they were selling that many because why would EAA cap the value at $400,000 if they were more than double that under the old rules?? In light of the purchase in Wisconsin only rule I'm wondering if it's not due to a new Wisconsin law?

also, keep in mind the $40,000+ IRS and ~$10,000 state of Wisconsin tax bill if they win. That plus the ongoing operating/storage/maintenance cost isn't insignificant. Maybe EAA is trying to attract players that are more financially able to keep the plane vs. sell it immediately to cover expenses.
    Last edited by odens_14; 07-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Odens, it's not a "primarily" a donation to EAA, it's a complete, one hundred percent donation to the EAA Youth Programs. I know this because I now work for C&D Aviation, who is building it!

There were really two reasons for decreasing the amount of tickets and increasing the amount of each one from what I understand; first, now one has a decent chance at actually winning the darned thing; second, they'll actually make more money.

The last EAA giveaway Cub sat at Oshkosh for a year, as the winner either didn't have the cash for the taxes or didn't want a J3 Cub, and it was sold to someone who will fly the stew out of it. Someone plunks down 100 bucks for a chance and one knows they really want the aircraft.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

When they make the entry contingent on the payment, the "donation" given for the ticket ceases to be tax deductible.

The old sweepstakes were 100% a donation, and tax deductible. The new raffle rules state clearly that it is a purchase and NOT tax deductible. Also the drawing for the raffle is not until 7/20/20, so no plane will be given away this year.

In the old raffle, one could enter simply by filling out a card. No donation was required. While there may have been 871,000 entries, doubtful a $1 donation accompanied each ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    The last EAA giveaway Cub sat at Oshkosh for a year, as the winner either didn't have the cash for the taxes or didn't want a J3 Cub, and it was sold to someone who will fly the stew out of it. Someone plunks down 100 bucks for a chance and one knows they really want the aircraft.
    Just following up on this - maybe it wasn't sold to someone who would fly the stew out of it, because here it seems to be listed again:

https://barnstormers.com/ad_detail.p...05&catid=16400
    Brian K. Schermerhorn