Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Pelton

I ran into him (literally) in 2015 at an AOPA fly-in in Salinas, CA. He was wandering around by himself, and I spent maybe five minutes talking to him about 3rd class medical reform (this was before before BasicMed was codified). He was very approachable and tuned into the medical reform issue. He had become EAA chairman in 2012, and I wished him well in his EAA gig.

I was impressed; he's a nice guy.
    Last edited by Scooper; 07-27-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

I have seen him in expected and unexpected places in every AirVenture I have attended since he took over. Chapel service on Sunday, EAA Young Eagle events, walking through four corners, introducing speakers, and so on. He must be the busiest man at AirVenture. I, too am very impressed by his approachability and apparently sincerity and commitment to our organization.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by plenam View Post
    Has anyone ever seen Jack Pelton on the field. I have been down in the Warbird area for years, and have never seen him. It would be nice if he would meet and greet the people that pay his salary.
    Well.....I saw him on two occasions. He is pretty busy, wouldn't ya' think? Possibly he was not aware that the Warbirds paid his salary. Maybe he did not have the proper attire.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Possibly he was not aware that the Warbirds paid his salary.
    But the EAA members who fly and own warbirds do! These people who also pay a fortune in fuel costs so attendees can see them fly deserve a visit. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Personally seeing him walking anywhere on the grounds would be the result of timing, chance and coincidence.

The last time and only time I saw him in the flesh on the grounds was in 2007 when he was introducing the failed Skycatcher as CEO of Cessna.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    But the EAA members who fly and own warbirds do! These people who also pay a fortune in fuel costs so attendees can see them fly deserve a visit. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Personally seeing him walking anywhere on the grounds would be the result of timing, chance and coincidence.
    It certainly is timing, and of course, the occasion to actually leave the warbirds area and mix with the riff-raff might help the odds. I am not in the warbirds group but I expect that the 14,000-17,000 other EAA members who fly to OSH also buy fuel and help defray the costs of administration. Believe it or not, even those who did not or never will attend OSH also help in that regard. I do appreciate and enjoy the warbirds and occasionally I walk up north to hear a speaker I admire but trust me, no special interest group has the right -of -way over anyone else. If I ever hear of such a favoritism, it is bye-bye EAA for me. I have been a member since 1967 so I hope that never happens.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

I work in the warbirds area, and I did get to meet and talk with Jack.

Mr. Pelton was the first speaker at the Young Eagles awards banquet Wednesday evening.

I have NO doubt that Mr Pelton would LOVE to be able to meet and greet with each of the 70,000+ visitors to AirVenture every year, those who fly in, those who drive in each day and those who camp on the massive grounds. But c'mon folks. What are the odds of bumping into one specific VERY busy person among a throng that large, spread out over near 1300+ acres of land?

Cut the guy a little slack.

I have heard that the difference between a Warbird owner and a god is that a god doesn't think he's a Warbird owner. lol - Just friendly kidding......as far as you know. lol
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-29-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I have heard that the difference between a Warbird owner and a god is that a god doesn't think he's a Warbird owner. lol - Just friendly kidding......as far as you know. lol
    Actually, there is no difference. Warbird owners are gods and warbird owners have more money than god.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Actually, there is no difference. Warbird owners are gods and warbird owners have more money than god.
    As for the first clause, well, my wife thinks so and that is all that matters. As for the second, there are two classes of Warbird owners, and I am definitely not in that class. I suppose that I have to settle for Demi-god.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com