Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWI Replica/Representation N-Number Format

WWI Replica/Representation N-Number Format

Hey All,

I'm building an Airdrome Aircraft Sopwith Camel and I'm thinking I want to display the N-number on the rudder in the same way they did back in the day...with a single letter "N" on a line above a number "1234"

N

Part 45, Sub-part C of the Federal Code seems to indicate that that's okay, but when I sent an email to the friendly FAA Registration folks their answer was a little ambiguous.

Do you know of anyone that's displayed their N-Numbers in this fashion?

Nick
    AA Camel
    Maine (not at OSH this year)

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post

Part 45, Sub-part C of the Federal Code seems to indicate that that's okay, but when I sent an email to the friendly FAA Registration folks their answer was a little ambiguous.
    Most likely that was intentional.

You need to get in contact with the DAR who will be inspecting your aircraft and find out how he feels about your intentions. If he is okay with it........
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Judging from what I've seen owners do with N-numbers on their aircraft, I don't think compliance is really high on the FAA's list of things.

Then again, they were probably re-paints from the originals.

Not that I'm suggesting anything, mind you...
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

There are some pretty clear requirements for registration numbers in the FAR. There's an AC explaining it as well. Reading through that, as long as your N number meets the requirements (3" Roman style letters and numbers, legible, permanent, high contrast, both sides) I don't see any requirement that it be all in one line, either horizontal or vertical. The feeling I get is that they want it obvious and readable, and if you're not trying to obscure or hide it you're probably good to go.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Lots of manufacturers displayed their N numbers either as two lines, a space between the N and the numbers or vertically. Example. Pipers and Aeroncas. There are lots of replica builders and Warbird owners that have done a number on the tail, and then put the real N number under the horizontal elevator in 3".

There must be a FB page or forum at Aerodrome Aircraft with guys that could give you help and guidance on this.

Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    Lots of manufacturers displayed their N numbers either as two lines, a space between the N and the numbers or vertically. Example. Pipers and Aeroncas. There are lots of replica builders and Warbird owners that have done a number on the tail, and then put the real N number under the horizontal elevator in 3".
    "N" numbers must not be under the horizontal stabilizer. §45.25(b)(2) states that if on the fuselage, marks must be between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. If it is a true replica of an aircraft over 30 years old, numbers may be 2" instead of 3".

There's a lot of Warbirds that have the N numbers under the horizontal, legal or not, just Google photos of current Mustangs.
    I forgot if it was supposed to be 3" or 2" on the small numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    There's a lot of Warbirds that have the N numbers under the horizontal, legal or not, just Google photos of current Mustangs.
    I forgot if it was supposed to be 3" or 2" on the small numbers.
    You are correct. I didn't say it doesn't happen. Just stating what's legal.

That was my point.

Bear in mind I would never suggest altering the N number after the inspection. Nope, not me.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

heh...thanks guys...