Thread: J F K , Jr. , Pilot and EAA member

J F K , Jr. , Pilot and EAA member

I just saw a tv special on JFK jr. and I recall the time I saw him at Airventure. There was not a lot of publicity, but it was rumored that he was at the field. Every lady from about 10 to 90 seemed to be talking about him. I think it was a combination of his looks, he was about as handsome as you can be with that sort of intelligent and well groomed well dressed East Coast look, but not overdone. And there was still the Kennedy name, some of the myth or legend left even at that late date. A whole large extended family of seemingly bright people who were such a change from LB and Nixon. And of course his Mom Jackie who seemed to be so stylish and famous for it. As the Pres said, he was famous for being the man who went to Paris with Jackie.
    John was a licensed instructor for powered parachutes, and when I saw him he was down at the ultralight runway and was walking north toward homebuilt and warbirds. I was impressed that he seemed to be just one of the attendees, he didn't have any P R man with him or any security thugs, just a normal guy not counting the several dozen ladies of all ages who were walking next to him, sort of like Moses parting the sea. Actually I have testimony that I am more handsome and it only cost me a small bribe of about $2000 of promised airplane rides. I didn't barge in, didn't really have anything to say but would of course like to have met him.

Some people like the family, some don't but it is fact that they put their patriotism into action not just words. The older Brother Joe, was lost flying an experimental bomber mission, and of course JFK had his PT boat sunk by Japanese destroyers and his leadership and swimming ability lead his men to rescue. Geo Bush served , but these days a lot just send other people to take the risk. What family ever had to experience two assassinations?

Sadly John and his wife and her best friend took off about 830 at night from Caldwell N J, going about an hour and a half to Marthas Vineyard. in his Piper Saratoga. Weather was vmc but none too good and other planes turned back due to haze or fog, the actual weather was worse than forecast. He was heard calling Unicom at M V, but no answer and they went down at sea in the 20 miles out to the island. His CFI had offered to fly with them,which he had done before, and John himself had about 30 hours of instrument training and was approaching taking his test for that. Had they flown the trip in daylight or even with a bright moon it might have gone safely. I n my guess he got into fog or a cloud before even fully realizing it. We can only wonder about possible use of his autopilot or if it could have righted the plane.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.