Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VW Aircraft engines - Tell me about your experiences

I only have one problem with my Aerovee. After flying, with everything hot, the engine lopes at idle. It runs from 950 rpm up to 1100 and back. The mixture, from rich to lean, doesn't make a difference. The research I've done says it's most likely a vacuum leak. There are only six hose clamps in the intake system and tightening them doesn't help. The only place I haven't checked is the two elbow gaskets on the heads. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrie Caudill View Post
    I only have one problem with my Aerovee. After flying, with everything hot, the engine lopes at idle. It runs from 950 rpm up to 1100 and back. The mixture, from rich to lean, doesn't make a difference. The research I've done says it's most likely a vacuum leak. There are only six hose clamps in the intake system and tightening them doesn't help. The only place I haven't checked is the two elbow gaskets on the heads. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Get a can of carb cleaner. Put the little red plastic tube on this can. Now with the engine idling spray this around all rubber joints. If one is leaking the engine will pick up RPM's while you are spraying this. If the engine rpm's increase you just found your leak. By the way, I am about one hour south of you. There are a couple of us in this area flying with the VW engine.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-31-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Are there any VW engine pilots/builders/mechanics around Atlanta (I sleep in the Class B of ATL) willing to talk me through the VW airplane engines, and possible share some knowledge in person?
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320