Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Crud removal

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    89

    Crud removal

    Does anyone know of a good water soluble chemical that will remove years of dirt and oil from the interior of wings and fuselage ?

  2. #2
    geosnooker2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Does anyone know of a good water soluble chemical that will remove years of dirt and oil from the interior of wings and fuselage ?
    Check out Simple Green. I'm not saying that's the answer, but it's worth a look.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Green

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tehachapi, CA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by geosnooker2000 View Post
    Check out Simple Green. I'm not saying that's the answer, but it's worth a look.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Green
    Do NOT use standard Simple Green on aluminum aircraft or aluminum aircraft parts. SG makes "Aircraft Simple Green" which IS safe for aluminum (and composites).

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Does anyone know of a good water soluble chemical that will remove years of dirt and oil from the interior of wings and fuselage ?
    It depends on what kind of structure, what kind of crud and what degree of disassembly you're willing to undertake to remove the crud.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    89
    I did try some paint stripper on few test spots. It does work. My concern is that the stripper will get into the lap seams and may not completely wash out. Whadda ya guys think ??

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,084
    Phosphoric acid (first step in etch and alodine) will clean up oil film and corrosion and is water flushable.
    Ospho is mostly phosphoric acid. I using it for cleaning rust off the bathtub.

  7. #7
    DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    KMLE
    Posts
    532
    I would second the recommendation in the other iteration of this discussion for Dawn, or some cheap shampoo - both with a soft bristle brush for washing cars. Both will cut oil, grease and grime gently. Rinse thoroughly, of course, otherwise you'll end up with a sticky film that will attract more dirt.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

    Flying an RV-12. Building a Fisher Celebrity.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    .My concern is that the stripper will get into the lap seams and may not completely wash out.
    yes, that happens. Pressure washing helps.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    89
    OK guys, here's what I wound up doing. Mineral spirits. I know, not water soluble. The project was C150 wings that had been treated several times with a corrosion preventative over many years. A lot of caked on dirt had collected, particularly aft of the rear spar. Some places I could reach in scrape the crud off and the vacuum out the clumps. Wings were NOT on the airplane. Dish soap, engine cleaner, WD-40,ect. did not perform well enough. I sprayed in mineral spirits and let soak for 1 hr. I then used a pressure washer with a 90* nozzle to blast out the crud. Not squeaky clean, but enough to evaluate the wing internal condition. Oh ya, mineral spirits does kill your back yard grass.

  10. #10
    robert l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Heath Springs, S.C.
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    OK guys, here's what I wound up doing. Mineral spirits. I know, not water soluble. The project was C150 wings that had been treated several times with a corrosion preventative over many years. A lot of caked on dirt had collected, particularly aft of the rear spar. Some places I could reach in scrape the crud off and the vacuum out the clumps. Wings were NOT on the airplane. Dish soap, engine cleaner, WD-40,ect. did not perform well enough. I sprayed in mineral spirits and let soak for 1 hr. I then used a pressure washer with a 90* nozzle to blast out the crud. Not squeaky clean, but enough to evaluate the wing internal condition. Oh ya, mineral spirits does kill your back yard grass.
    Did you take pictures or video ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •