Thread: Successfully selling an aircraft during Air Venture?

Successfully selling an aircraft during Air Venture?

Has anyone successfully sold an aircraft during Air Venture? We are weighing the options-cost of advertising vs fuel to fly 600 miles to Air Venture.

Quote Originally Posted by cessna1227d View Post
    Has anyone successfully sold an aircraft during Air Venture? We are weighing the options-cost of advertising vs fuel to fly 600 miles to Air Venture.
    I have a friend who bought a Luscombe at Airventure. Small (like 8 1/2 x 11") signs advertising the plane is for sale is tolerated in Vintage. Larger signs and FOR SALE prop streamers are prohibited.

In the early 1980's, bought my first plane. A 1946 Cessna 140 w/ an 0-200. Saw a For-Sale sign when walking the vintage area. Did not buy on the spot. Rather we flew to the seller in Iowa.

Sure they have. When my RV-6 was brand new in 2001, a guy was willing to write me a check on the spot and buy it at a really good (for me) price. There are people who go to the show every year with the mindset that "If I see the right airplane, I'm gonna try and buy it."

What kind of airplane are you selling? In particular, if you're selling something unique, maybe something you could park in the heart of Vintage or Homebuilt, Oshkosh might be the place to take it. If you're gonna be stuck in the North 40 with a 1980 C-172, I think there would be more cost effective ways to advertise the airplane.

It’s an EAA biplane. We have it listed on Barnstormers. It was completed by our EAA chapter builders and rolled over into our LLC to sell.

I saw that listing, actually. I'd have bit, if I didn't like sleeping indoors and staying married so much.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

There are usually several large bulletinboards on the grounds with for sale notices on them. If you're really interested in buying or selling one, go for it! As others have said, sometimes a deal is made on the spot, other times it involves a follow-up trip, but nothing like being there to see what's offered!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    There are usually several large bulletinboards on the grounds with for sale notices on them.
    One of the largest of these is in front of the EAA Merchandise Warehouse by the tower. Unfortunately it looks like a dogs breakfast of loose leaf paper ads, the likes of which you might find at your local grocery store. If you choose this low tech method, better come up with something superior that makes you stand out from the crowd.

I wouldn't bother with flyers at Osh. Someone in the market for your make/model of plane will find you as they will high tail it to HBP and HBC looking for opportunities. IMO the best things you can do are have a for sale sign with aircraft specs, as previously posted above, good contact info plainly visible, and most of all a presentable airplane.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Explain This Please

It’s an EAA biplane. We have it listed on Barnstormers. It was completed by our EAA chapter builders and rolled over into our LLC to sell.
    EAA Chapter 44 in Rochester NY is restoring a 1956 Corben Baby Ace built by our Chapter Founder. We too have to relinquish it before it becomes airworthy. Could you explain what you mean by “rolled over into our LLC to sell.” Thanks.

Bob Nelligan-Barrett
    EAA Chapter 44
    Baby Ace Restoration Team