Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Failing" an airworthiness inspection...

Joe, not saying DARs look for a way to ground aircraft. And I truly respect that it’s a tough job to protect someone from themselves especially when a lot of time money and effort has been invested in a project.
    However for new or highly modified designs, I think the FAA or EAA could establish guidelines as to what may be asked of them. I think this would benefit both the applicant & DAR communities and improve standardization in the process.
    Just one guy’s opinion.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Dave, I reckon that would be a very bad thing, as a set of concrete guidelines are the exact opposite of permissiveness.

I was reading about some of Glen Curtiss' aircraft, including the use of bamboo as longerons to hold the tail in a pusher design. Indeed, when the aircraft was replicated, the guy doing so cheated and put metal tubing inside of them for added strength, as he was a bit nervous about a proven design and material.

However, if one did that today - made a very lightweight aircraft and used bamboo for longerons - it would probably be signed off on. Maybe with some questions, but I don't see how it wouldn't be (especially since it's been done before).

I reckon the stuff that would get a no are things we can't really comprehend someone doing, such as securing said bamboo with cellophane tape to the rest of the fuselage, or securing the engine to the firewall with bailing wire.

However, looking at some oddly specific warnings on various products and places I don't put much past people.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.