Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B17 Flight - anyone done it - review

B17 Flight - anyone done it - review

Hi there,

Heading over from Australia for 1st Airventure with 18 yo son. Looking for feedback reviews on those that have experienced B17 flight. Son is aviation crazy and I know a flight in a B17 would rock his world.

I've never done it, so I don't speak from experience. I can't imagine it not being worth every cent. Bit of a once in a lifetime opportunity, that gets less likely to happen every year.

I gave ( bought the ticket ) my 14 year Grandson a ride last year and he loved it . He had two thoughts about the flight . 1. very loud 2. he thought about all the men that were on them in WW2 that gave their lifes for our country

Get your tickets as early as you can. It has been known to sell out. I can't speak to the B-17 but a ride on one of the Ford Tri-Motors is also a memory of a lifetime - and one that only costs $75 a seat.

Last year they were flying the bomber flights out of I believe the Appleton Airport, using a round-trip bus to shuttle passengers from the AirVenture grounds.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Here is information about the B-17 Flight Experience. https://www.eaa.org/eaa/events-and-e...48157D460&_z=z

Special Instructions for EAA AirVenture mission flights/rides: All passengers must check-in at the B17 trailer located on the southeast corner of the Warbirds ramp (next to taxiway P-1) one hour prior to your flight time to board the shuttle to our operations area (at ATW).

All rides for the B-17 will be based at Appleton International Airport (ATW) in Greenville, Wisconsin.

Oh, and the B-17 flight path takes you over EAA AirVenture.

I would definitely go for a flight in this. It's a fun experience and I have done it!
    Last edited by FlyinAdamBadger; 06-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Certainly do it for both you and your Son. Its not cheap, about $450 but that's reasonable compared to anything higher performance or rarer. Its unfortunate that they dont let you fly them anymore. I really enjoyed flying the Collings B-17 in the pliots seat with takeoff from Ft. Collins Downtown and passes over the reservour west of town, with boaters and skiers loving the sight and sound.

Its a nuisance to have to ride a bus to Appleton to get a flight, but still fun.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.

I cadged a ride in the EAA's B-17 a few years back. Here's the story I emailed to my friends:

http://www.wanttaja.com/b-17.pdf

The little inset diagrams show where I was standing when I took the picture (blue dot) and the general direction the camera was pointed (yellow fan).

Ron Wanttaja

I rode on Aluminum Overcast 15+ years ago. I really enjoyed it. The view from the nose was outstanding, the others were great too, and the airplane wasn't nearly as noisy on the inside as I expected.

G'day,

I'd highly recommend it. A mate and I were at Osh in 2013 on our first trip (returning next month for our third) and he bought a ticket for the B17. My funds would only cover the Trimotor flight. I think we both got good value for money. From what I recall, he said that most passengers were happy to exchange seats/locations during the flight in the B17.

If you have not already done so, I'd advise you to become an EAA member so that you pay member prices for both the flight and your entry to the show. We even got a "came all the way from Australia" discount for the B17 flight which deducted another $25 from the member price.

Cheers,

George

Thanks for all the replies

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk