Thread: CPAP

CPAP

Things are changing on our annual trip to OSH and we are actually considering camping but we are both CPAP/BIPAP users. What or how does anyone handle sleeping for a week with a CPAP or do they just suffer? Would a, if it exists, very quiet generator be allowed?

There are a few threads on the subject already on this forum. In general some CPAP users camp in the 24hr generator areas, some bring rechargeable battery packs or a large deep cycle battery, like for fishing trolling motors. Easy enough to test at home how long a given battery choice would last without needing a recharge.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Another option would be to use solar panels to charge a trolling motor battery. Do not use a car battery, it won't work for long at all. The marine type batteries are not true deep cycle batteries but they are good enough. A friend up at deer camp uses cpap, and I bring a "normal" sized 24f type marine battery. Fully charged, it will run for 3 nights (without humidifier). With a 10 amp battery charger, we can recharge it in about 3-4 hours of running a generator. But using solar would be cheaper and quieter. For $150 on sale, you can get a 100 watt solar panel set from Harbor Freight. I have one for my travel trailer, works great. That should more than keep up with recharging the battery. Lots of sun at Camp Scholler.

If you do go with a generator, pay attention to the loudness specification. The smallest 1000 watt Honda EU1000i, is 42-50 dB(A). That's extremely quiet. It costs about $1000. There are others brands that are nearly as quiet for $500-600. You want an "inverter" type generator. Please DO NOT buy a $89 generator from Harbor Freight, it will be 92 dB and will annoy the cars driving down US 41, not to mention all the nearby campers.

I used the RockPals 300w powerstation this year at Osh and it worked great. It kept our phones/tablets charged and ran my CPAP for 4 nights before I recharged it (only charged it once at Osh). I was using a CPAP 12-volt adapter cord and not the CPAPs normal 110 power supply -- I could have as the RockPals unit has an inverter too, but that would have just wasted battery power converting to AC just to convert back to DC.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I used the RockPals 300w powerstation this year at Osh and it worked great. It kept our phones/tablets charged and ran my CPAP for 4 nights before I recharged it (only charged it once at Osh). I was using a CPAP 12-volt adapter cord and not the CPAPs normal 110 power supply -- I could have as the RockPals unit has an inverter too, but that would have just wasted battery power converting to AC just to convert back to DC.
    Ditto for me. I charged mine with a solar cell during the day since I used it to power a fan as well as the CPAP overnight. Really worked great.