Thread: Camping equipment safe to leave out ?

Camping equipment safe to leave out ?

Will be at Camp Scholler for 4 nights sat to Wed for the big show and was just wondering if our stuff is safe to leave out on the table like a BBQ and coolers , lawn chairs etc . We will have 2 tents the usual camping stuff and a couple of bikes . Just not sure if there has ever been problems there with stuff walking away ?? Thanks from Canada

In my experience, yes you can leave that stuff out and no one will bother it. My only advice is if there's rain in the forecast I wouldn't leave anything out you don't want wet. The same goes for overnight as anything left out will be covered in dew the next morning.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Use caution! Two years ago a generator was stolen from a friend on our campsite. Until then, I never worried, but it seems like the "family" feeling in the campground has diminished somewhat over the last few years............
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

I wouldn't leave anything valuable out. Anything hard to replace or valuable gets locked in the car. Also if you have a canopy tent and lawn chairs, take them down and store them during the day just in case the wind picks up. The only things I leave out are cooler, grill, etc. I would recommend a chain and lock for your generator (if you use one).

99.9% of the people you meet at AirVenture and decent and honest, but all it takes is that one bad apple to ruin it for you.
    Last edited by Jeremy S; 06-28-2019 at 10:33 AM.

I've only missed one Airventure in Camp Scholler since '84, and I've never had a problem, but once in a great while you do hear an occasional story. As mentioned in previous posts, don't leave out stuff you don't want wet, (I'm convinced it's Wisconsin state law that it has to rain at least once during the convention) and I also fold up anything that might blow away and stuff it either under or in the camper.
    Dave

We pilots may be liars and cheats, but we definitely are not thieves! That said, not everyone staying in Camp Scholler is a pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattflight View Post
    We pilots may be liars and cheats, but we definitely are not thieves! That said, not everyone staying in Camp Scholler is a pilot.

I concur 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Cattflight View Post
    We pilots may be liars and cheats, but we definitely are not thieves!
    If that were true, airplanes would never be stolen.....

Ron "Milk Carton" Wanttaja

I lock up my generators and fuel, but the rest I leave out and it has never been bothered.