Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B17 Flight - anyone done it - review

Quote Originally Posted by 1308682 View Post
    Hi there,

Heading over from Australia for 1st Airventure with 18 yo son. Looking for feedback reviews on those that have experienced B17 flight. Son is aviation crazy and I know a flight in a B17 would rock his world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look up egg boy on YouTube. My son did it at 12

Quote Originally Posted by whodja View Post
    Look up egg boy on YouTube. My son did it at 12

https://youtu.be/xJ11G5CsSLc

Quote Originally Posted by whodja View Post
    https://youtu.be/xJ11G5CsSLc

He will be at EAA this year. He’s a Midn at the USNA.

Incredible and emotional video - almost defines the awe and wonder of flight AND of youth.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

What a great video! You must be very proud of him. I'm glad that a young man of his caliber is serving our country at the USNA.

I have ridden on both the B-17 and the Tri-motor. Unbelievable and highly recommended. That said, the Flying Fortress has been my favorite plane since watching the 12 O'Clock High TV series as a small boy. Unlike the CAF ride, passengers are encouraged to get up and stroll around the plane when it is at cruise. This includes an opportunity to go into the nose, which you can't do on the ground. Looking through the Norden bombsight from the air was itself memorable. No comment on the price except to say considering the operating costs of the flying fort $450 is still expensive but reasonable. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Tri-motor flight. The airplane is VERY slow and very stable. Stately. Nowhere near as noisy as the history books say it was. Big windows. All in all a pleasant way to see the earth from above.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Thank for all the info. I have a seat reserved on the B-17 this year and am looking forward to the experience. I decided to do it before they stop the rides as I missed out on the concorde rides years ago when they were grounded.

First rode on the 17 for my 60th birthday, absolutely worth the money Now years later My wife and I are hosting a tour stop in a few months.
    This is a ride you do not just sit there, as soon as you are airborn you can move around inside the plane. Some say it is loud in there, yes but it sounds different every section of the plane you are in.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.

Quote Originally Posted by 1308682 View Post
    Hi there,

Heading over from Australia for 1st Airventure with 18 yo son. Looking for feedback reviews on those that have experienced B17 flight. Son is aviation crazy and I know a flight in a B17 would rock his world.
    I took the flight back in 2007 in Elko, NV. in Sentimental Journey and I loved it. They only took 6 people at a time and everyone gets to be in 6 different areas during the flight. I started out in the nose bubble, where the bombardier sits when we took off, fantastic ! About every 10 minutes everyone would change to a different spot. It's expensive but hey, you only live once and I hope to do it again. I also did the Ford tri-motor last year at A/V.
    Bob