Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B17 Flight - anyone done it - review

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I cadged a ride in the EAA's B-17 a few years back. Here's the story I emailed to my friends:

http://www.wanttaja.com/b-17.pdf

The little inset diagrams show where I was standing when I took the picture (blue dot) and the general direction the camera was pointed (yellow fan).

Ron Wanttaja
    I guess Sentimental Journey was a little different from Aluminum Overcast. We didn't have seat belts or harnesses. All's well that ends well !
    Bob

Here are a few links to when my wife and I rode on the 17. I borrowed a GoPro, strapped it on my head knowing little about the camera.Our
    pilot for this trip is Lorraine Morris whom is the only female certified for the B-17.

Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.

Did it on one of the tours Aluminum Overcast does.

Loved it.

View from the nose with the shadow of the airplane on the cornfields below was like a time machine. I imagined all the young kids come back from missions who saw that same shadow and knew it meant they were close to landing and had survived another one.

I would have paid triple if we'd also bombed something.

It was as fun as a P-51 flight I took several years back.

My dad was a B-29 navigator on Tinian. So my next goal is a flight in Fifi or Doc.

I rode Aluminum Overcast on Tuesday, 23 July. Let me just say, it was WORTH every cent!! I was at the Norden bombsight in the nose when we passed over KOSH. Awesome.

Save up, scrape up, hell, check under the couch cushions, but find the $$$ to do it. Like the volunteers told us, the money raised from ticket sales is what keeps her flying, and not in a museum.

Oh...if you can, go for the first flight of the day. You'll get a little more time in the plane, as they warm up and run up the engines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sluggo; 07-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Bug spots look like flak

What an awesome picture! I have had the opportunity to look through the Norden bomb sight from the air, too — but not with the view you got!!!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I can see our plane and tents in North 40. And the swamp that was between us and the bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    I rode Aluminum Overcast on Tuesday, 23 July. Let me just say, it was WORTH every cent!! I was at the Norden bombsight in the nose when we passed over KOSH. Awesome.
    Interesting, on the 23rd, that morning I was on the ground shooting up at you.
    Name:  IMG_7917.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  71.2 KB

FWIW, the 3rd weekend of September my wife and I are hosting an EAA B-17 tour stop in Rutland Vermont. Anyone in the region, feel free to stop on by and get a feel of what this great machine is like. Flights will be in the mornings with ground tours throughout the afternoons.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.