View Poll Results: Is texting while flying dangerous?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very safe

5 9.43%
  • Relatively safe

21 39.62%
  • Not very dangerous, but not very safe (neutral)

7 13.21%
  • Somewhat dangerous

11 20.75%
  • Very, very dangerous

5 9.43%
  • Other

6 11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Texting While Flying vs. Texting While Driving

Like Frank, my charts are prepared before I get into the airplane. All I need do is glance down at them and the line I drew during my preflight. Or do most of you preflight while in the air?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Maybe that's because most people have been following the rules....'til now.
    Well, we don't know that texting hasn't been a factor in any airplane accident. Perhaps it hasn't been cited as such but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Isn't the issue with texting and driving is that the "heads down" time is distracting the person from the task at hand? I'm curious how "heads down" time while texting in an airplane is okay, shouldn't everyone be "seeing and avoiding" other traffic? Texting has absolutely no role in safety of flight like navigating and other things that some are saying is equally distracting.

Sad day for aviation when folks are defending texting while flying.
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-17-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Like Frank, my charts are prepared before I get into the airplane. All I need do is glance down at them and the line I drew during my preflight. Or do most of you preflight while in the air?
    In my own aircraft I'll take a cue from the Army pilots and write freqs on the inside of the windscreen with an alcohol pen before leaving out.

Then again I'm still concentrating on the Aviate-Navigate parts of flying and Communicating only as absolutely required.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I pre-fold my sectional and have it open on my thigh board for easy reference.
    So you never fly from one side of the sectional to the other side?

Rarely!

But that's when one buys a second sectional, tapes it to the first, and fold for a quick flip if required!

Bear in mind, though, that I fly a Champ.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Name:  texting while flying.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  24.8 KB

That's one solution. Another is to first fold your sectional down the middle (lengthwise) and the accordion fold it so that it is one panel wide. From that point, one can see the whole chart by flipping to open, page by page, like reading a book. Need to go to the other side of the chart? Easy - flip it over and open to the correct page..... Easier to demonstrate than it is to explain.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Actually, the FCC only prohibits the operation of ANALOG cell phones in flight. No such restriction on digital phones -- I looked it up on the FCC's Website. The old regulation still stands because the old analog phones could "lock up" several cellular nodes at once if they were elevated high enough. Digital phones do not have this problem. The FAA prohibits inflight cell use on Part 121 carriers.

I use my cell on the Hurricane. It's in a mount on the left hand side of the cockpit and I use it for foreflight and charts. I also keep a sectional or TAC on my kneeboard along with my VFR flight plan if I'm leaving the immediate area of the field.
    Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

For me, texting while driving is dangerous than texting while flying. But when flying cellphones are prohibited right?