View Poll Results: Is texting while flying dangerous?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very safe

5 9.43%
  • Relatively safe

21 39.62%
  • Not very dangerous, but not very safe (neutral)

7 13.21%
  • Somewhat dangerous

11 20.75%
  • Very, very dangerous

5 9.43%
  • Other

6 11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting While Flying vs. Texting While Driving

Ok, I'll admit to being a bit old fashioned and not really excited or up to date on all the latest gadgets. I was under the impression that God gave us thumbs for hitchiking in from a en route airport when stopped by weather.
    But I can see at least one critical need for texting possibility in an airliner; if one pilot goes back to the toilet and gets locked in, as happened recently. at least he can send a message up to the cockpit.
    I do have a pilot friend who loves his gadgets. His family came up for a ski visit and in the evening he sat on one end of the couch and his teenage daughter sat on the other end while they sent texts to each other.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I do have a pilot friend who loves his gadgets. His family came up for a ski visit and in the evening he sat on one end of the couch and his teenage daughter sat on the other end while they sent texts to each other.
    LOL...Reminds me of my son-in-law...he and my granddaughter text each other from the house to the back yard. I swear I think they have forgotten how to talk to each other. Miss my Mom yelling out the back door ...."Jerrrry...Dinnnnnner". But I guess back in those days immediate communications were not that important. After all, the dinasuers couldn't move all that fast....'cept for the raptors...stay away from those suckers...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Boy can I relate to Bill and Jerry! I have a cell phone which sits on my desk 98% of the time, I only use it when I travel. It's not a "smart phone", I'm waiting for "Fischer-Price" to build one with larger keys! A few years ago I was driving 18 wheelers, they have a keyboard with a built-in screen called "Qual-Comm", it's used to communicate with dispatch. I have been passed on the interstate by drivers typing on the keyboard laying across the steering wheel, head down at 70 MPH! Technology is great, but only when common sense is applied...common sense is what Bill and Gerry grew up around it's not something that should ever go out of fashion!

Joe

Common sense?!? My Gawd...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375

I agree with you there. I don't see why it's that big of a deal to be in constant contact....and I am from the "wired generation".

Yes. I do it many days of the week while I'm flying. In some cases, its the only way to get in touch with my crew, to let them know where I'm at and to find out where they are.
    Yeah, but your aircraft is a bit slower than most and even if you collide with something, wouldn't it just bounce off?

If you are flying a plane and really feel like getting out a little gadget and typing on it, then you must be flying a boring plane or over some awfully boring scenery.
    That describes most cruise flight in most aircraft. Besides, after you've flown the same route a couple of times, the scenery- unless really spectacular- gets kind of old. The joke around here is that all cornfields look the same, except when they are soybean fields.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Being from another generation, I can't imagine why a pilot would need to text while flying. Is there some scenario where safety of flight might be compromised if you don't get that text sent?
    Yes.

Although I think I can safely say that FCC regs did not apply in my scenarios.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Ya' know...I'm gonna stop trying to convince ya' all that it is best for everyone to follow the rules. Ya' all go ahead and text any time you want. Not me!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375

While texting in a plane might be a little safER than in a car, it is still a distraction and can lead to devistating consequences. With that said, on very rare ocassions I have sent very brief texts. Yesterday flying to my son's I sent a text "10 min out" so he would know when my wife and I would arrive. I think that is very different than carrying on a conversation using text messages. I also had my wife in the right seat still looking out for other planes while I was sending the text.