View Poll Results: Is texting while flying dangerous?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very safe

5 9.43%
  • Relatively safe

21 39.62%
  • Not very dangerous, but not very safe (neutral)

7 13.21%
  • Somewhat dangerous

11 20.75%
  • Very, very dangerous

5 9.43%
  • Other

6 11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting While Flying vs. Texting While Driving

Quote Originally Posted by teknosmurf View Post
    I guess I am not seeing the point here. Is there a scenario where eating a hamburger or taking a trink might compromise the safety of flight? Not likely, and I rate it along the same lines of dangerous.
    The question was is there a situation where safety of flight will be compromised if one does NOT text. The science of texting devices and distractions is well documented. Not really something that needs to be debated.

Just like communicating on the radio, you do it when you are free to do so safely.

However, unlike that bottle of water you are drinking that may make you have to pee, a timely text message to ask your buddy where the best place to taxi is for restroom access before you land is very helpful! Especially if you need to land at IWA and are unfamiliar with the grounds .

You eat because you have a moment, and you are hungry. You text because you have a moment and you need a ride from the airport.
    Otherwise, all I can say is wow, just wow. How did I ever make it through life without texting someone a messsage about where I can pee. Nothing like having an alpha/numeric keypad to replace basic social skills.

Here is the FAR. Does paragraph (b) item 5 mean that the PIC can determine that it is safe to text?

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:
    (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
    (2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—(1) Portable voice recorders;(2) Hearing aids;(3) Heart pacemakers;(4) Electric shavers; or(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

I would say that when I am at 7500 ft on a one hour leg, utilizing flight following, I would feel very safe sending a text.
    Last edited by gdtmcs; 12-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Being from another generation, I can't imagine why a pilot would need to text while flying. Is there some scenario where safety of flight might be compromised if you don't get that text sent?
    Yes. I do it many days of the week while I'm flying. In some cases, its the only way to get in touch with my crew, to let them know where I'm at and to find out where they are.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by gdtmcs View Post
    Does paragraph (b) item 5 mean that the PIC can determine that it is safe to text?
    Yes, if one means, "will it impair the navigation or communication capabilities of my electronic equipment?" But the PIC does not determine if it is legal, and "safe" means more than electronic interference.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...4?OpenDocument

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsId=6275

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

http://dwiwatch.org/cell-phone-texting.php

http://www.bookofodds.com/Accidents-...More-Dangerous

www.dwiwatch.org/A-Comparison-of-the-Cell-Phone-Driver-and-the-Drunk-Driver.pdf

As an EMS pilot whose crews sponge up the results of inattention to task caused by booze, drugs, phone calls, and texting, I tend to agree with those studies. But that's just my opinion. We're each entitled to our own opinions, not our own facts.

Pay attention to the view out the window. Your closure rate with descending opposite-direction traffic at 7500"msl might be 500kts.

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Mike M; 12-02-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Otherwise, all I can say is wow, just wow. How did I ever make it through life without texting someone a messsage about where I can pee.
    I apologize, I didn't mean to upset anyone with my comments, I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. I was just trying to lighten up the coversation by choosing that reference...just my goofy sense of humor.

If you wan to pick on my extreme scenario, then I'll go the other way...how did any of us make it through life without airplanes at all? But you fly anyway...

I mean loosen up. If you want something more appropriate, then how about the situation I had a few months ago where I needed to meet up with someone in the air...he was flying from another local airport. As we all know GA departures are anything but on time. When he got within a few minutes of my airport he texted me, I drove to the airport, pre-flighted and took off. That way he didn't have to be on a very strict timeline.

What about the time the guy had an electrical failure in flight and texted the tower for instructions. Yes, that was an emergency situation, but it did affect safety of flight ultimately.

BTW, airliners have been using ACARS for 20 years. Yes it started out as an automated text status method only, but quickly grew into an interface in the cockpit for sending short texts similar to emails. In my opinion, cell phone texting is nothing more than poor-mans ACARS.
    www.portablefuelsystems.com
    Makers of the Alcohol Separation System
    Use our A-S-S to fix your gas!

Hang up the phone and fly.

Whazzup
    Pttrn wrk
    Tch n goz?
    Lotz Xwing
    LOL
    Xwind
    VFR r0xxers
    O Base hld on
    No nose up
    Crp spin help
    Lulz
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Many of ya' all continue to ignore the FCC rule of no cell phone activity in the air, and think it is OK since it is not easily enforcable. Just ask why the rule is in place anyway. Maybe it has to do with the safety of others? Oh, I'm sorry - that doesn't matter in today's 'me first' culture....Sorry....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Frank, LOL! man you crack me up!
    Jerry,
    I totally get your point, but maybe the guys who make up these rules need to figure out how to enforce them before casting them in concrete, just saying. If there are technical reasons that cell phone transmissions can/do create a danger maybe we should have that information sent around the aviation world. I'd say it's probably pretty safe if your flying IFR with an autopilot, probably not a great idea if your doing low-level aerobatics VFR.

Joe

If you are flying a plane and really feel like getting out a little gadget and typing on it, then you must be flying a boring plane or over some awfully boring scenery.
    It would seem to be dangerous if you are single pilot VMC, less so if you are an airline pilot IMC at 35, 000 with a copilot.

Quote Originally Posted by teknosmurf View Post
    BTW, airliners have been using ACARS for 20 years. Yes it started out as an automated text status method only, but quickly grew into an interface in the cockpit for sending short texts similar to emails. In my opinion, cell phone texting is nothing more than poor-mans ACARS.
    Airliners have at least 2 crewmembers where one is always tasked with flying the plane. I think it would be highly unlikely for both crewmembers to be distracted by ACARS messaging. Besides, I can always tell the FO to stay heads up when conditions warrant. It's part of my crew brief.