View Poll Results: Is texting while flying dangerous?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very safe

5 9.43%
  • Relatively safe

21 39.62%
  • Not very dangerous, but not very safe (neutral)

7 13.21%
  • Somewhat dangerous

11 20.75%
  • Very, very dangerous

5 9.43%
  • Other

6 11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting While Flying vs. Texting While Driving

Texting While Flying vs. Texting While Driving

I was reading an article the other day about texting while flying. Some people suggest that texting while flying is just as dangerous as texting while driving. I would tend to think that texting while driving would be much more dangerous. I say this because vehicles on the road are much closer together than airplanes ever would be. If you look down even for just a couple of seconds you could easily get in an accident. When you are several thousand feet in the air, it is less likely to cause a problem. But aside from my opinion, I would like to get your feedback on this.
    WTTN 16

I mean...it's not exactly the best idea- especially during critical phases of flight (think 'sterile cockpit' rule)- but then again it's not up there with failing to check the weather, "get-there-itis" or the urge to do low altitude aerobatics either without proper training or in an aircraft not designed for it.

Well, of course... there are lots of things you can do in a plane at altitude that you can't safely do in a car. But I should point out that it's technically illegal (FCC rules, not FAA) to use a cell phone in any aircraft in flight... not that it's enforced or even enforceable.

Texting while on autopilot is safe but as Dana pointed out might not be legal or enforceable.

I just can't resist...
    Name:  witchtextandfly.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  63.6 KB
    www.portablefuelsystems.com
    Makers of the Alcohol Separation System
    Use our A-S-S to fix your gas!

Being from another generation, I can't imagine why a pilot would need to text while flying. Is there some scenario where safety of flight might be compromised if you don't get that text sent?

Is there some scenario where safety of flight might be compromised if you don't get that text sent?
    I guess I am not seeing the point here. Is there a scenario where eating a hamburger or taking a trink might compromise the safety of flight? Not likely, and I rate it along the same lines of dangerous. Just like communicating on the radio, you do it when you are free to do so safely.

However, unlike that bottle of water you are drinking that may make you have to pee, a timely text message to ask your buddy where the best place to taxi is for restroom access before you land is very helpful! Especially if you need to land at IWA and are unfamiliar with the grounds .

You eat because you have a moment, and you are hungry. You text because you have a moment and you need a ride from the airport.

...remember, aviate first, then navigate, then communicate...THEN text.

That's just my $0.02
    www.portablefuelsystems.com
    Makers of the Alcohol Separation System
    Use our A-S-S to fix your gas!

Rolls Eyes it's a computer thing

Quote Originally Posted by teknosmurf View Post
    I just can't resist...
    Name:  witchtextandfly.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  63.6 KB
    And I can't resist either ROFLMAO

Hi Techno - Does this mean that you ignore the FCC rule about using a cell phone in the air, or is it that the texting such a short burst of xmission that you think it won't bother anything? Your radio not working? The FBO could prolly tell you where the john is...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

FCC......Frequently Corrupt Control.....