Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Site size

Camp Site size

Just checking camping guidelines and noticed something missing. Did EAA do away with the "20 x 30 foot" site size ? If I read it right, pick site to fit camper with 5 foot radius for vehicle and 10 foot separation from other campers.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Just checking camping guidelines and noticed something missing. Did EAA do away with the "20 x 30 foot" site size ? If I read it right, pick site to fit camper with 5 foot radius for vehicle and 10 foot separation from other campers.
    I noticed the same thing. That could certainly make things interesting. It makes sense, in some respects, because there are a lot of campers that simply don't fit in a 20x30 space plus the tow vehicle. Heck, I'm on the edge of renting a decent pop-up, and when expanded it's 24' long. That plus my Ram 1500 (at 19' long) basically take up the whole 20x30 without much room left for a campfire ring and extending the awning on the camper.

Then again... Scholler gets FULL. If left to their own devices, I can see some campers taking up far more room than necessary. Should be interesting. Can't wait to see the new maps, as wherever they stick the tenters this year will play a large role in whether I rent the pop-up or not.

Well, this could get interesting. The new camping guidelines also mention 'Any campsite deemed too excessive will be resized by EAA Security'. Since I travel with a two-person tent (that has to fit in my suitcase, with everything else for a 3-week stay in the US) and a compact rental car, my campsite is not likely to be deemed excessive soon. But unless I arrive on the Saturday before AirVenture, I find it difficult to find a suitable spot to put up my tent because of all the people who have decided to move their entire manor, including football pitch and swimming pool if they can help it - all for the same price I pay. I wonder what EAA Security deems not just excessive, but 'too excessive'.

Yeah, that statement alarmed me, as well. Seems a bit too open for interpretation.

But then... as much as I saw the generator hours get enforced, I have my doubts that EAA Security will be doing much of anything with camp site sizes unless you are part of the "in crowd."

It's frustrating to arrive Friday morning and see the 'estates' that are already marked out in the 101 Woods area.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    Ia decent pop-up, and when expanded it's 24' long. That plus my Ram 1500 (at 19' long) basically take up the whole 20x30 without much room left for a campfire ring and extending the awning on the camper.
    That's the same rig I have, popup and quad cab ram. I park my truck at the tongue end of the camper so I'll have room to hook up and pull out if I leave midweek. About 2 yrs ago, between my truck and neighbor was ~10 feet which was roomy but not super roomy. During the second day I came back to the camp and someone managed to shoehorn a travel trailer between us which made it a challenge when I was ready to leave.

I put baricade tape around my camp site footprint and while it didn't quite fit the published x and y dimensions, it was less overall sq feet. The camp size guidelines were thoroughly abused like most of the other Scholler "guidelines" so I can see why they got rid of it.

Never used the woods for camping. Been going too long and have seen what damage tree limbs can do to your ride home. My old pop up gave up the ghost, so I am now gonna "glamp". Out by the high way is looking better instead of the crowds closer in.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    Yeah, that statement alarmed me, as well. Seems a bit too open for interpretation.

But then... as much as I saw the generator hours get enforced, I have my doubts that EAA Security will be doing much of anything with camp site sizes unless you are part of the "in crowd."
    EAA does not like to play Barney Fife and doesn't hire enough security personnel to enforce the "good neighbor" rules. They do very little to enforce rules other than the ones which directly influence the safety and security of attendees. Generator hours, smoking areas, campsite sizes, things like that, they'd rather depend on common sense to take care of things. They reserve the right to formally deal with egregious examples of naughty behavior.

My class A is about 11 ft wide with all the slides out I am 8 ft wide all closed up. cars are wide than 5 ft who thinks this up some Mo and RON