Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Nit)Pick the Errors in the New "Midway" Poster

(Nit)Pick the Errors in the New "Midway" Poster

Here's one of the posters for the new "Midway" movie coming out this fall. It's apparent the art department at the studio doesn't have any airplane buffs in it. I see one major and at least three minor technical errors in it. Anyone else?

Ron Wanttaja

4 blade prop on an SBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    4 blade prop on an SBD?
    Yep, that's the major one. It's also showing gun flashes come out of the wing roots of the SBD (Dauntless' forward-firing guns were on top of the cowl) and what looks to be a P-51 going down in flames in the background (Floats should be happy).

The Zero at the top of the image has a two-bladed prop, but assuming the artist were depicting the Zeke conversions of the T-6, that's accurate.

I don't think the SBDs carried wing bombs at Midway; too far to fly.

I had originally thought the markings were wrong (was expecting the red dot in the middle of the star) but the dot had been eliminated about a month prior to the battle. Probably were planes at Midway that still had it, but the poster would be correct.

The bow on the carrier in the background doesn't match any of the Japanese carriers at Midway...they all had a flight deck mounted high above a lower hull. This could be intended to represent the Yorktown, although the clipper bow is far too aggressive. The bow looks a bit like the Shinano, although I believe it was still a battleship (under construction) at this point.

Ron Wanttaja

The swinging bomb rack is missing too. The chin scoop in front of the bomb is missing, but you could argue that it is obscured by the prop blade.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I hate it when they remake a movie that was good the first time around. This one will probably be all CGI. I won't be paying to see it.

There is a second "mustang" in the background. No wonder we won the battle - using 1944/45 weapons in 1942 is an unfair advantage.

well for one that dive bomber looks like it is coming out of the bottom of its dive and hasn't dropped its bombs, and since it didn't deploy its dive brakes it'd probably be in the water by now as well.

Yup, I noticed that the flaps and speed brakes weren’t deployed but the dive angle is too flat.
    Didn’t think the original movies was all that great. Eons ago I spent a week on Wake Island. You could still make out remnants of the US defensive earthworks and the PanAm pier in the lagoon. On another deployment was diverted to Midway when our KC-130 got struck by lightning and then took a gooney bird strike on the RH refueling pod on short final. It was no longer a full up base, just support personnel. Didn’t get much of chance to meander around. On another deployment we ended up on Johnson atoll chasing an F-4 that had lost hydraulics on one engine trans-PAC’ing back from Iwakuni while it was still an active chem storage facility....very glad to get out of there.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

You certainly would have a hard time putting together a cast like the original (1976). Not only were there giant names on the US Navy roles (and just about everybody there was a star or would be, even had young Erik Estrada and Tom Selleck), but just about every Asian-American actor of note was pulled in including Pat (Karate Kid) Morita and Robert (Sam from Quincy ME) Morita, Not heard of too many in the remake other than Woody Harrelson (who I think will suck as Nimitz, certainly no Henry Fonda), and Dennis Quaid.

Mercy would it kill them to get it right??? more like this but with the bomb released...