Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long EZ

Tom, if you are building it to plans, foam core / fiberglass construction, you can do it from the pdf plans as long as you go thru the CP newsletters & incorporate the changes. I had to put it in autocad because of the changes I was incorporating & because since I am building a 4130 fuselage I need to be able to do structural calculations

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Tom, if you are building it to plans, foam core / fiberglass construction, you can do it from the pdf plans as long as you go thru the CP newsletters & incorporate the changes. I had to put it in autocad because of the changes I was incorporating & because since I am building a 4130 fuselage I need to be able to do structural calculations
    I thought it was over the top to think it would be that easy to get a set of plans.

but I think I have found a set and templates, in a hangar 3 doors down. they are used, I must go look, to be sure.

what would be a reasonable offer for a set in good condition.?

Mine is going to be tube & fabric (with some modifications for baggage space) ...
    Wow, way cool and interesting! Would love to see this going together. Do you have a project site?
    Bugs
    EAA 459462
    www.supercubproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    Wow, way cool and interesting! Would love to see this going together. Do you have a project site?
    Not yet. Well, my engineering company has a url, but all I have been using it for is email.

I am part owner of a web hosting company, I am going to have to get the guy that runs it to educate me some on how to do a web site.

I am still in the engineering phase & beginning to accumulate parts (need some of the parts to move along with the detail design) once I start making progress with some actual building I plan on putting something out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    I thought it was over the top to think it would be that easy to get a set of plans.

but I think I have found a set and templates, in a hangar 3 doors down. they are used, I must go look, to be sure.

I paid $400 for my (unused) LongEZ plans & $600 for the VariViggen plans (also unused). Really though, I went thru the LongEZ plans side by side with the pdf files you can download, there isn't any difference I could see. As long as the pdf templates scale properly when you print them you will be OK with the free downloadable plans. They printed to the proper scale on my printer, but you will want to have them printed on C or D sized paper on a HP plotter for building. Most blueprint shops can do this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    This EZ build is still in the early stages of is it "feasible". I still have this project to finish, ( http://www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/ ) and a couple engine restorations to complete before I can open enough floor space in the hangar to start any thing new.

I had an engine failure on the 24 so I've been overhauling the Warner, that is why it isn't finished yet.

I'm sorta getting burned out on certified aircraft restorations and have need for a long legged traveling machine, (got kids on the east coast) so a composite build might be fun. I've got a ton of AN hardware, wire, hose, tube, stuff like that all left over from old projects, so I'm thinking why not build some thing.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.

I paid $400 for my (unused) LongEZ plans & $600 for the VariViggen plans (also unused). Really though, I went thru the LongEZ plans side by side with the pdf files you can download, there isn't any difference I could see. As long as the pdf templates scale properly when you print them you will be OK with the free downloadable plans. They printed to the proper scale on my printer, but you will want to have them printed on C or D sized paper on a HP plotter for building. Most blueprint shops can do this for you.
    This process of off setting the PDF files to actual paper templates is what worries me. that is why I started this thread, I see all the CDs for sale, saying they are a complete set of plans. I have no means of printing to that scale, and the printing companies aren't cheap.

still doing my home work, and I'm grateful for the help.

This process of off setting the PDF files to actual paper templates is what worries me.
    One of the guys that built one re-did the templates, the way they are formatted there are 1" lines around the border
    Attached Images Attached Images

There were a lot of LE plans published and that's not counting the bootleg copies. Put up a wanted ad on Barnstormers and I'm sure you'll get some hits.

I sold my last set of LE planes in the early '90's and got $400 for them. I can't believe they could fetch that kind of price today. They are just too "public domain" plentiful. Stuff like the wing airfoil templets are going to be most critical because even the plans sold by RAF had variations due to the printing process.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I sold my last set of LE planes in the early '90's and got $400 for them. I can't believe they could fetch that kind of price today. They are just too "public domain" plentiful.
    I agree. I bought mine close to 10 years ago before the pdf copies were available.

Everything you need is available free from the links in the canardaviationforum link in post #4 above