Thread: One night stay anywhere between O'hare and Oshkosh?

One night stay anywhere between O'hare and Oshkosh?

Hi, I am flying in from Asia at 5pm and want to spend a night somewhere around an hour or so's drive from Ohare airport in the direction of Oshkosh. I don't check-in to my UWA housing until the day after I land.

Any recommendations for a nice spot to spend a night? Not to expensive and somewhere I wont get caught in alot of traffic.

Thanks, Russ

Milwaukee is about an hour north of Chicago and on the route. Lots of hotels of all calibers in the area.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I would suggest staying at an acceptable-to-you motel on the main road going to Milwaukee, but a bit before you get near the city itself to avoid the normal traffic congestion and confusion. As Carl mentioned, there are many places right off the highway for various budgets as soon as you cross the Illinois border. A website like booking.com is your friend. If you try for a stay much farther north of Milwaukee you run the risk of them all being booked full due to AirVenture.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ellisr View Post
    Hi, I am flying in from Asia at 5pm and want to spend a night somewhere around an hour or so's drive from Ohare airport in the direction of Oshkosh. I don't check-in to my UWA housing until the day after I land.

Any recommendations for a nice spot to spend a night? Not to expensive and somewhere I wont get caught in alot of traffic.

Thanks, Russ
    Russ,

What day do you get in at 5pm?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    Russ,

What day do you get in at 5pm?

On the Monday 22 July.

Quote Originally Posted by ellisr View Post
    On the Monday 22 July.
    Well, if you are up for it, why don't you just stay with me for the night in Camp Scholler? I'm renting a camper for the first time this year, so you won't even have to get too cozy with a stranger in a tent!

Seriously, though. Save some bucks and time. I'll have a pop up camper, shade tent, and I do it up gourmet style, because life's too short for bad food and drink. I'll be setting up on Saturday morning, so the dust should have settled by the time you swing through.

If you want to do that, drop me a PM. If you'd really rather stay elsewhere, no skin off my back at all. Just thought I'd offer.

Either way, have a great OSH19!

What a nice offer Steve, thanks very much. Love the pilot community.

Under normal circumstances I would jump at the offer but the reason I didn't want to stay in Oshkosh on the night I arrive is because last year I nearly fell asleep at the wheel driving up directly after the long flight from Asia. Hence the need to crash somewhere closer to Ohare.

Ahhh, gotcha. Totally understand. Good luck on your travels, then, and hope you have a blast this year

Try stopping over in the Gurnee Mills area. It’s about 15 miles inside the Illinois state line. It’s a big shopping area with a number of hotels as it draws people down from Wisconsin.
    As you know it’s totally congested from Chicago pretty much until you get north of Milwaukee. Your arrival time also puts you in the evening commute. Good luck and safe driving.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

The traffic around Great America amusement park in Gurnee can also get 'interesting'.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln