Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Scholler: anything under the wheels of a class A?

Camp Scholler: anything under the wheels of a class A?

HI, All;

We recently purchased our first motorhome, a class A Winnie. With all the rains here in DFW over the past few months, we really haven't had a chance to use it, so we're complete newbies on this experience. As a result, this will be our first year in Camp Scholler

So, my question is: do you normally put anything under the wheels of your rig to keep from sinking-in over the course of 10 days, similar to what you do when camping with your plane? I really didn't want to have to bring sections of plywood, and, besides, I'm sure the weight of the rig would crack them. I have wood blocks for the jack pads, but am at a loss for what to use for the wheels.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

In my years of camping, never noticed anyone putting support under wheels on "big rigs" Look through the Cirrus campsite and they just use the bare ground. During the year we had"Slosh Kosh, EAA used their big John Deere tractor to haul rigs out of the mud.

Bill L

Carl, go a week early and pour a slab. Make it wide enough for your neighbor ! ! ! You'll be a hit !

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Carl, go a week early and pour a slab. Make it wide enough for your neighbor ! ! ! You'll be a hit !
    Yeah; thought about that, but concerned that all those sacks of Quikcrete would put me 'WAY over GVW...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Don t forget to use plenty of the special Quikcrete water

Don't the jacks take most of the weight off the wheels?

Maybe some sand bags from Home Depot would work better than plywood. Empty some of the sand so it lays flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Maybe some sand bags from Home Depot would work better than plywood. Empty some of the sand so it lays flat.
    Oh sure.... it ain't enough they brought a glam home on wheels.... now they should have a beach too???? lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

no the jacks do not you do not want that the wheels have to on the ground unless you want a bent frame

I have some rules when at Oshkosh

Bring some boards 2X6's or 2X8's for the wheels, the ground is soft some times and this year might not be an exception,if soft you will sink in a few inches, RV tires are not made for grass, you will be stuck, and getting any traction is hard if you sink any.

Jacks, mine are hydraulic and will push the boards right into the ground so I leave the jacks up and find a flat spot

Next walk the spot where you want to park and make sure it is not real soft or a low spot I got stuck a few years ago,never stop if you are parking until you are done. find a dry spot and it will rain at some point,

Have fun, and charge your batteries each day if you are there any length of time

I am assuming you are dry camping, if you have a generator fill your fuel tank before you come into the campground so you have enough fuel to run the genny all week and fill your water tanks so you have water, come with empty grey and black tanks

I bought some of the blue 5 gal water tanks at Wallie World to refill my water tank so I do not have to move, I use a siphon hose to transfer the water

Some people bring a lawn mower to mow the grass at the site,

Get there early it filled up quickly last year
    Safe travels