Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Normandy

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Many war movies on TV today including one of the worst ever flying yarns entitled Fighter Squadron from 1948. The good guys are flying P-47's and the Germans they encounter in dogfights are flying P-51's with German crosses on the fuselages. The producers and director obviously thought nobody would notice. Really awful.
    well I'm pretty sure not too many ME-109s were airworthy in 1948 and those that were were still in service in spain and other small nations. ever notice that "tiger" tanks in the movies of the late 50s and the 60s are usually m-47 or m-48 tanks? gotta use what you have available

commemorating the Normandy invasions is great and the right thing to do, but also never forget that the same time these brave men were storming the beaches more brave men were also fighting and dying in Italy, Rome Allied troops had entered Rome 2 days before, and others were in the Pacific dying in god forsaken places like Siapan.

Champ Driver- that’s a beautiful shot! Looks serene and peaceful with the flag and all that green grass. Whenever we go to visit I’m always awe struck by how many graves are there and how beautiful the grounds are kept. Ya know it’s funny, my grandparents lived right by lake Nokomis growing up right under the Flight path so my Grandma was never a fan of airplanes and especially the worry they gave her from my Grandpa flying in WWII and all the boys in the family being pilots. They’re buried at the top of the hill directly overlooking the Airport. Perfect spot for my Grandpa but I don’t think my Grandma would be too happy with the location! But looks like your parents are in a beautiful spot!

My parents are near the base of the hill overlooking the entrance to Signature FBO. Yes, Saturday was a beautiful morning to be there, much better than Memorial Day itself. The photo is near where they are, in the S section. My Dad was in the Navy at 17 in 1945.
    I was hoping to find flags at all the headstones like a year before, but I beat them to it before they were put out.

I love the flags they put in and it’s nice to bring your own too. That’s a true testament to your Dad that he would join up at 17. A true American Patriot and I salute him for his service. I know that they are in a better place now even though there are many times I miss Fishing and flying with my Grandpa and hearing his stories. They were truly the greatest generation.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I agree it's silly to anyone with an IQ above room temperature (and 90% of pilots, too :-).

But...what else COULD they use? Ron Wanttaja
    Ron how about Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L 'Buchon' the Spanish version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109???

Name:  SpanishMe109.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  88.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop View Post
    Ron how about Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L 'Buchon' the Spanish version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109???
    They weren't available in the US at the time "Fighter Squadron" was made, and, as they were at time front-line fighters for the Spanish Air Force, the Spaniards weren't likely to lend the American producers any unless they actually filmed in Spain (in which case, we'd be complaining about stupid replacements for the P-47s).

As far as I am aware, the Buchon's international movie debut was during "Der Stern von Afrika," and that was ten years later and (partially) filmed in Spain.

"Der Stern von Afrika" actually illustrates my point...many of the ground sequences use the Hispanos, but most of the flight/combat scenes are really awful models.

Ron "Horrido!" Wanttaja

A lot of it has to do with the budget allowed for the movie, most of them aren't unlimited. And that dictates where and what you can use for the movie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    "Der Stern von Afrika" actually illustrates my point...many of the ground sequences use the Hispanos, but most of the flight/combat scenes are really awful models.

Ron "Horrido!" Wanttaja
    Not familiar with this title but the combat scenes you describe are, IMO, still favourable to P-51's as German fighters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    A lot of it has to do with the budget allowed for the movie, most of them aren't unlimited. And that dictates where and what you can use for the movie.
    My career was in the film and TV business. You're quite right, movie budgets aren't unlimited. They are the very opposite, tightly controlled, adhered to and line by line item explicit. However not all items are dollar cost items. For example, there are barter negotiations undertaken whereby certain equipment/props etc are provided to a production at no cost on a quid pro quo basis. For example, a credit is given in the end credits for a provider which can have future lucrative benefits.