Thread: P-39 Airacobra / P-63 Kingcobra landing Gear Crank ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

P-39 Airacobra / P-63 Kingcobra landing Gear Crank ?

Delete post ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by Scott66; 05-30-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Delete

Interesting vintage tool find. To my untrained eye it "looks like" that 1/2 square drive has been there since the tool was made? Perhaps it had a different use to a 1940's AP? Next year will be Snap On's 100TH anniversary so anything is possible I reckon
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Can probably hawk it on ebay for $5.

You are saying its worth $5.00 on ebay, do you have knowledge of this Snap-On ratchet/crank ? if so would like to hear more info about it. I have only found one other in this country and and his is missing the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott66 View Post
    You are saying its worth $5.00 on ebay, do you have knowledge of this Snap-On ratchet/crank ? if so would like to hear more info about it. I have only found one other in this country and and his is missing the handle.
    Marty may have been exaggerating a bit, but I don't think he's that far off. Being rare doesn't necessarily make it valuable. Three types of markets for this:

The first is someone who owns or is restoring a Bell fighter. Not too many of them around, and this tool is modified, which means it wouldn't work on the airplane, anyway.

The second is someone who collects unusual tools. But their interest is likely to be sparked by unusual tools made by unusual companies, not tools modified to do other things.

The third is museums, but one would question how much interest this would have for non-aviation buffs (which is what most museums are slanted toward). I could see this on display in a display that discusses how wartime material was modified for peacetime, civilian use. However, this wouldn't be a major exhibit...and just about all museums expect something like this to be donated.

In the ~38 years we've been married, my wife has dragged along a set of antique wood spools, both the size of a roll of paper towels. She insists they are rare and valuable. But, again, I really doubt the last half of that.

I've got a pair of cufflinks from the early '60s depicting the Lunar Orbiter spacecraft. They were actually accepted for display (on loan) at Seattle's Museum of Flight, as part of the Boeing 100-year anniversary. I have not seen anything similar, ANYWHERE. Yet the museum didn't ask about permanent display, and I don't think I could get that much.

I'm a bit of an antiquer, collecting antique electronics and aviation memorabilia. The vast majority of what I've bought I've paid less than $100, and we're talking things like aircraft sextants, instruments, radios, etc.

You have a neat tool there, but I'm not thinking it's worth very much.

Ron Wanttaja

Rwanttaja,thank you for pointing out the facts and you do make sense. I was offered $200 + shipping a few days ago from someone that can upgrade it with the splined drive ect..i just needed to hear some opinions about it before making a decision, and thanks to you i will take the offer.