Thread: What comes first? Phase 1 or ADS-B checkout?

What comes first? Phase 1 or ADS-B checkout?

I was just reading about a gent’s ADS-B install pass/fail flight testing and it made me think.

I’m currently still building my plane, so I’m positive I won’t be completed before Jan 2020. I live under the DFW class B, and my Phase 1 flights will be within the mode C veil.

Am I overthinking first flight? As in, I won’t have a validated install, but all flights after January are supposed to be with ADSB capability.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl,

Assuming they give you a flight test area that is within the mode c veil, you will be flying within rule airspace. So your ADS-B test will just happen as a part of your phase 1 flight testing. You don't have to do anything special other than fly in rule airspace and do "maneuvering" in order to validate the ADS-B installation. You will certainly be doing both as a part of your phase 1. Mission accomplished!
    Cheers!

Joe

Thanks, Joe! Just wasn't sure if, like a transponder cert, it had to be done before flight, which would have been a Catch 22.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Thanks, Joe! Just wasn't sure if, like a transponder cert, it had to be done before flight, which would have been a Catch 22.
    Carl,

You will need to have the standard Transponder test done before you fly the plane, but the ADS-B validation will be done in flight. Just have your local shop do the standard transponder test to get you started.
    Cheers!

Joe

As I understand it, the Validation Test was REQUIRED for the rebate. The people that are not getting the rebate will get validated as they fly.

I am one of the lucky people that just installed ADS-B out and was required to do a validation test. AC20-165B has the requirements of what the FAA wants to see. My first validation test flight (after I had my 91.411 / 91.413 tests completed by a local avionics shop) actually failed because I only was 26-minutes in rule airspace. I miss read the requirements and flew part of the flight outside the mode C veil. The email from the FAA said they would manually validate and get back to me in 3-days. One week later, I had heard nothing so re-flew the test this time with over 1-hour in the mode C veil but part of the maneuvers were outside it. The Rebate Validation flight link failed to generate a report. I went to the public report generation sight and was able to get a report. I took the end time of the public report subtracted 15-minutes and then want back to the rebate validation website and use the time I just derived to request a report. The report came back all GREEN so I passed and there was a Rebate Request CODE to enter on the website. They say the rebate check will arrive in 4-weeks. One of my friends just got their rebate check after 8-weeks.

IF you are going ADS-B out by way of a Mode S transponder, you can see some of the info that the FAA is seeing by going to FlightRadar24.com and entering the number of the aircraft. One can see data up to 7-days old without paying a subscription fee.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Gary Sobek, please email me.
    Bob hartunian
    bobh5@earthlink.net