Thread: Question for you A&P's and IA's.

Question for you A&P's and IA's.

Settle an argument please. Certified airplane (C-172) A&P does an annual. IA comes in and notes a few items are un airworthy and signs it off as such. The A&P fixes the issues and logs them appropriately. Does the IA have to come back and inspect the corrections and sign it off himself, or is the A&P work sufficient. Thanks, I have a cheeseburger riding on this.

PS a reference to the answer would help also.
    Last edited by gbrasch; 05-20-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Settle an argument please. Certified airplane (C-172) A&P does an annual. IA comes in and notes a few items are un airworthy and signs it off as such. The A&P fixes the issues and logs them appropriately. Does the IA have to come back and inspect the corrections and sign it off himself, or is the A&P work sufficient. Thanks, I have a cheeseburger riding on this.
    Your whole premise doesn't work because an A&P cannot perform the annual. The IA MUST perform the inspection. He/she cannot supervise the inspection. So the A&P can aid the IA, but cannot do the inspection in the IA's absence.

But let's say the IA does perform the annual and finds items that do not meet the requirements of the inspection. The IA will record that the inspection was completed and will include a list of discrepancies, as required by 14 CFR 43.11. Once the discrepancies are addressed by a person authorized to do so, the aircraft is then airworthy. No need for a re-inspection by the IA.

Guidance on this can be found in FAA's "Inspection Authorization Information Guide" (FAA-G-8082-19) which can be found on the FAA website (www.faa.gov).
    Cheers!

Joe

Thank you for a clear answer.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

In fact, the owner pilot could even approve the airplane to return to service after the annual. Let's say for example, my IA signs off the inspection with a statement that the tire needs replacing. I can replace that and sign it off myself and go fly.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    In fact, the owner pilot could even approve the airplane to return to service after the annual. Let's say for example, my IA signs off the inspection with a statement that the tire needs replacing. I can replace that and sign it off myself and go fly.
    Right, but only if it's on the list of preventative maintenance items that the pilot/owner is allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Right, but only if it's on the list of preventative maintenance items that the pilot/owner is allowed to do.
    Correct. Anybody authorized to perform the maintenance can return the plane to service if that's the last of the items on the discrepancy list.

OK Folks! Now I want to suggest a new challenge on this same topic. Talking about certified Normal Category aircraft, we all know that an A&P can perform a 100 hour inspection. We also know that a 100 hour and an annual inspection involve pretty much the same actual activities. Can anyone quote for me the exact FAR that stipulates that ONLY an IA (and not an A&P without the IA) can "return to service" following an annual? Please identify the FAR even if you choose not to quote it. Enjoy (sorry, no cheeseburgers)!

John Caulkins
    EAA #1185369
    A&P 2022611

Quote Originally Posted by John Caulkins View Post
    OK Folks! Now I want to suggest a new challenge on this same topic. Talking about certified Normal Category aircraft, we all know that an A&P can perform a 100 hour inspection. We also know that a 100 hour and an annual inspection involve pretty much the same actual activities. Can anyone quote for me the exact FAR that stipulates that ONLY an IA (and not an A&P without the IA) can "return to service" following an annual? Please identify the FAR even if you choose not to quote it. Enjoy (sorry, no cheeseburgers)!

John Caulkins
    EAA #1185369
    A&P 2022611

65.81, 65.85, 65.87 - what an A&P can do - specifies 100-hr Inspections but does not address the annual inspection

65.95 - What an A&P/IA can do - specifies additionally the annual inspection.

Not Bad! I think I would have started with FAR Part 43.7(b) to satisfy the restriction implied by the word (above thread) "only". But you certainly nailed the meat of it (sorry, still no cheeseburger!).

John Caulkins

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, you should be aware that a FAR 145 Certificated Repair Station can have an A&P designated as an authorized inspector under the authority of the Repair Station Certificate sign off an annual inspection.

Best of luck,

Wes