Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Plane Camping

First Time Plane Camping

Hi all! This is going to be my first trip up to Oshkosh, and I was planning on camping next to my plane for the week. I've been reading the EAA website and know that it's first come first serve in the North 40. When would be the best day to get there in order to secure a spot? I have to work the week before, so the earliest I can leave is Friday.

Once I get to Oshkosh how do you go about getting to the camping/paying for the spot? Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've never camped in the N 40, but worked ops in that area several years ago (so some of what I say might have changed...).

Earlier is better. Saturday and Sunday are the crunch times when EVERYONE tries to arrive. It fills up quickly. If you can get there Friday, you'll have it made - no rush at all. Flight ops volunteers will be working. READ THE NOTAM and have your sign ready. Please don't use a ballpoint pen cuz we can't read them and will have to stop you, walk up to the plane, so we can read it. Use a magic marker, a thick one. Better yet is to use a printer and use a font that will have those 3 letters fill the paper. If you're expecting the N40, you'll want your sign to say GAC for general aviation camping. Once you land and pull off to the grass, you'll find the flagmen waving you to where you need to go. The sign tells them where to route you. Don't fight them. There are usually good reasons why they're sending you in the direction they are. Once you're parked (the volunteers are there specifically for that purpose), a welcome person will (should) come up to you and help you out with how to get to / pay for your experience. Enjoy! It IS a real kick in the pants to arrive!
    Last edited by CarlOrton; 05-18-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

There’s a registration booth in N40 where you pay for camping and purchase your wristbands after you’re parked. Note you’ll get charged for the whole week and refunded for an unused days if you decide to depart early. There’s already threads about camping in general but one thing to add to the list for aircraft camping are boards to place under your wheels— they help. Also invest in some quality tie downs.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

It is not unwise to expect the weather to run the full spectrum during the event and bring clothing/gear accordingly. About the only weather event I can predict will NOT happen is snow. IMHO everything else is possible.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    About the only weather event I can predict will NOT happen is snow. IMHO everything else is possible.
    And, with that, Randy jinxes the whole thing... ;-)

I'd have the plane packed and I'd leave right after work on Friday. Dunno what you're flying but you should be able to make 4-500 miles before dark, assuming you get off work in the afternoon. Camp or sleep in the FBO. Arrive OSH Saturday morning.

I do indeed get off work at 4 pm (cst)...I need to make a stop in Indiana to pick up a friend, so I think I'll try to leave Thursday evening (if I can) and pick him up. Leave there Friday morning and that is only a 2 hour flight from his place to OSH. Any recommendations on tie downs?

I have FlyTies tiedowns— not cheap but they work. Others are partial to the Claw. There are others but I’ll let those users chime in
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I wouldn't bother buying the anchors that look like an oversized cork screw. They are OK for a light lateral load like tying down your dog, but they will pull right out under a vertical load created by an airplane. Try something like this. Certainly not perfect but not bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Claw-C200-Air...gateway&sr=8-2

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    There’s a registration booth in N40 where you pay for camping and purchase your wristbands after you’re parked. Note you’ll get charged for the whole week and refunded for an unused days if you decide to depart early. There’s already threads about camping in general but one thing to add to the list for aircraft camping are boards to place under your wheels— they help. Also invest in some quality tie downs.
    A clarification, CAMPING is charged from the day you get there through the end of the show (not just the week of the show). You do get a refund for any days over three that you don't use.