Thread: Does anyone have experience or knowledge with ducted fans?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with ducted fans?

Hoping that someone may have some experience or knowledge with ducted fans for an aircraft that we are designing to become a kit built plane - the ducted fans are for propulsion not VTOL or anything like that.

Yes, but you’ll have to be more specific with a question.

In general
    1. Good static thrust (duct drag < duct thrust)
    2. Bad for high speed (duct drag > duct thrust)
    3. Design goals of ducted fan, shrouded propeller and turbine inlet are vastly different.

Worth a lot more than 2 cents

Ron “Blue on Top” Blum

I found this 2012 Czech Republic paper very interesting (English language 6 page pdf file).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    I found this 2012 Czech Republic paper very interesting (English language 6 page pdf file).
    Many thanks Scooper. An interesting read, that paper was written in 2012, since then they have/had one of these flying but the airframe was lost in an accident, I'm not sure whether it has progressed much further.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaRotary View Post
    Many thanks Scooper. An interesting read, that paper was written in 2012, since then they have/had one of these flying but the airframe was lost in an accident, I'm not sure whether it has progressed much further.
    There is an updated 13 page article published in Journal of Aerospace Engineering in 2018.

PM me.

Last edited by Scooper; 05-25-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added YouTube link
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaRotary View Post
    ...that paper was written in 2012, since then they have/had one of these flying but the airframe was lost in an accident, I'm not sure whether it has progressed much further.
    Kent, email has been sent. Here's a brief English translation of the June 3, 2016 accident summary. The pilot deployed the airframe ballistic parachute and was not injured. The prototype sustained some damage. Development has continued.

On Friday 3 June 2016, just before 17:00, the UL-39 Albi prototype aircraft crashed at Budejovice airport. It was during the check of the maximum effectiveness of the flaps that the pilot lost control of the aircraft. The test pilot, after evaluating the situation, decided to trigger the parachute recovery system. The aircraft and the pilot descended safely to the ground in a wooded area near the airport. The pilot was not injured. The prototype has suffered damage that will likely affect the further development.