Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any brits on the forum?

Any brits on the forum?

Is there any real difference between flying in the U S and England for gen av pilots? Do David Clark headsets work with whatever radio frequency they have there?
    Thanks.
    I once flew gliders there and it was similar, but they fly a very close pattern with no real downwind. If I went on DW past the end of the runway like here, they called it "flying away from the runway". They wanted you to turn base at the end of the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Is there any real difference between flying in the U S and England for gen av pilots? Do David Clark headsets work with whatever radio frequency they have there?
    They will, unless the sender has a *very* squeaky voice. :-)

Ron "France might be a problem" Wanttaja

Banned
    Thanks.
    Sorry Bill, you're SOL with the David Clarks. Only Bose, Lightspeed, ASA and Kore pick-up British radio frequencies. :>)

The only difference between flying in the US and the U.K., is that in the UK you must fly on the left side of the sky. Really! :>)

Pretty much the same as here. I spent a lot of time all over England in 2003. Took my logbook with me to log some UK time. Flew out of Old Sarum airfield near Salisbury. Altimeter is in millibars and they use QNE and QNH for consistency. Each small field has a small tower about 20’ tall basically for only takeoff and landing clearance. Not even close to class D.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks Carl for your straight answer. Aren't those other guys cute?

Thanks Carl for your straight answer. Aren't those other guys cute?
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

It's just that when you asked whether a certain audio headset would work with local RADIO frequencies in UK, I assumed you were joking.....

Ron Wanttaja

In case he wasn't joking... Bill, most any aviation headset will work with almost any AUDIO source* (whether it's an aviation radio or a stereo/HiFi or a boom box) that has a ¼ inch plug, or can be adapted to such. The question would be more appropriate for RADIOS but, to the best of my knowledge aviation frequencies are pretty much the same around the world (including being AM rather than FM or sideband) else international travel would require multiple radios. The only real incompatibilities I'm aware of are between typical military freqs and typical civilian freqs.

* the ear pieces will pretty much all work -- some microphones aren't as good on non-aviation sources, though.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    In case he wasn't joking... Bill, most any aviation headset will work with almost any AUDIO source* (whether it's an aviation radio or a stereo/HiFi or a boom box) that has a ¼ inch plug, or can be adapted to such. The question would be more appropriate for RADIOS but, to the best of my knowledge aviation frequencies are pretty much the same around the world (including being AM rather than FM or sideband) else international travel would require multiple radios. The only real incompatibilities I'm aware of are between typical military freqs and typical civilian freqs.

* the ear pieces will pretty much all work -- some microphones aren't as good on non-aviation sources, though.
    Good summary, Larry.

To expand on something you mentioned, the FREQUENCY of radio operation won't affect the headset, but of course the electrical/mechanical interface between the headset and the radio may be an issue.

The GA standard is a 1/4" plug for the speakers, and a 0.206" plug for the microphone. The latter stems from the telephone switchboards of the early 20th century, and is currently only used in General Aviation. There are other standards used in aviation... helicopters have their own, single connector, system, there's a NATO plug, etc.

So if one is going to the UK with the intent of renting an aircraft, one will want to know that the jacks on the aircraft will be compatible with the plugs of your headset. I've never seen anything to indicate they use anything but the GA standard. If they didn't, you'd see "UK" versions of the headsets for sale, just like you see "Helicopter" headsets.

The 0.206" plug isn't the only fossil in aviation radiotelephony. The 300-ohm speakers used in GA headsets is another...again, harking back to the days of telephone switchboards. The microphones, too...while all aviation headsets use dynamic or electret mikes, the installations are designed to mimic the carbon mikes of the 1920s.

The Air Force, about 60 years ago, modernized. They now use the standard 8 ohm speakers and modern microphone elements.

Again, though, I believe the GA aircraft in the UK use the classic GA standard.

Ron Wanttaja

I wasn't joking, I was considering taking my helmet there for some flying. I expected it to be the same, but wasn;t certain. I think phone chargers and electric razors have different plugs and voltages there, but again Im not sure. I know some of there flying norms or habits are different such as a curving approach from downwind to final rather than a straight base leg at 90*.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-17-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I wasn't joking, I was considering taking my helmet there for some flying.
    If it has the standard two plug of the US headsets, it should work on any GA aircraft. However, if you're going to try go for a flight with something like the Tiger Club, those planes may use something different. For those sorts of situations, I'd expect them to have compatible helmets to borrow. Ditto with any other warbird.

I expected it to be the same, but wasn;t certain. I think phone chargers and electric razors have different plugs and voltages there, but again Im not sure.
    The UK operates at 230 volts, 50 hz, and the plug is entirely different. The frequency won't matter that much. You can buy adaptors for your personal electronics quite inexpensively ($5-$25). Look for "travel adaptors"... places like Target, Bloodbath and Beyond, or even largish drug stores should carry them.

Ron Wanttaja