Thread: Any brits on the forum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any brits on the forum?

Is there any real difference between flying in the U S and England for gen av pilots? Do David Clark headsets work with whatever radio frequency they have there?
    Thanks.
    I once flew gliders there and it was similar, but they fly a very close pattern with no real downwind. If I went on DW past the end of the runway like here, they called it "flying away from the runway". They wanted you to turn base at the end of the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Is there any real difference between flying in the U S and England for gen av pilots? Do David Clark headsets work with whatever radio frequency they have there?
    They will, unless the sender has a *very* squeaky voice. :-)

Ron "France might be a problem" Wanttaja

Banned
    Thanks.
    Sorry Bill, you're SOL with the David Clarks. Only Bose, Lightspeed, ASA and Kore pick-up British radio frequencies. :>)

The only difference between flying in the US and the U.K., is that in the UK you must fly on the left side of the sky. Really! :>)

Pretty much the same as here. I spent a lot of time all over England in 2003. Took my logbook with me to log some UK time. Flew out of Old Sarum airfield near Salisbury. Altimeter is in millibars and they use QNE and QNH for consistency. Each small field has a small tower about 20’ tall basically for only takeoff and landing clearance. Not even close to class D.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks Carl for your straight answer. Aren't those other guys cute?

Thanks Carl for your straight answer. Aren't those other guys cute?
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

It's just that when you asked whether a certain audio headset would work with local RADIO frequencies in UK, I assumed you were joking.....

Ron Wanttaja

In case he wasn't joking... Bill, most any aviation headset will work with almost any AUDIO source* (whether it's an aviation radio or a stereo/HiFi or a boom box) that has a ¼ inch plug, or can be adapted to such. The question would be more appropriate for RADIOS but, to the best of my knowledge aviation frequencies are pretty much the same around the world (including being AM rather than FM or sideband) else international travel would require multiple radios. The only real incompatibilities I'm aware of are between typical military freqs and typical civilian freqs.

* the ear pieces will pretty much all work -- some microphones aren't as good on non-aviation sources, though.

Larry N.