Thread: Handicap/Disabled aircraft camping

Handicap/Disabled aircraft camping

Hello,

What amenities does the disabilities camping area in the North 40 offer that the other aircraft camping areas do not? We already have a spot with our aircraft type (Cessna 180/185) and would prefer to camp with the group, but want make an informed decision. My wife broke her foot a few days ago. She is in a cast and cannot put weight on it. This is our first trip to Oshkosh. We are experienced campers. We will most likely rent an electric scooter from Vista Mobility given the amount of ground we hope to cover at Oshkosh.

Thank you.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    This might help.

General Disability Information link

Read under Aircraft Parking and Camping
    Please display a disabled sign along with the arrival sign (found in the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh NOTAM) upon your arrival so ground personnel can direct you to the appropriate area. Designated aircraft camping accommodations for guests with disabilities are available in the North 40 as well as the homebuilt camping area.

Read under Restrooms
    Multiple ADA accessible restrooms, hand washing stations, and showers designed for access by guests with mobility disabilities are available throughout the EAA grounds including Camp Scholler, convention grounds, and aircraft parking and camping.

This might help if you're in a pinch.
    CARTS Program: Here to Serve Guests link
    You can get their phone number by calling Bus Park Tower (bus/taxi/limo info) 920-230-7932

There also may be a handicap accessible bus that circulates through.
    There is one in camp Scholler, I don't know about north 40.

AV 2019 EAA Visitor & Camper's Guide link (To download pdf click on arrow upper LH corner of Flip Book)
    AV 2019 Grounds map link
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 07-05-2019 at 02:43 PM.

The North 40 Handicapped space is closer to the gate and I think has an additional couple of handicapped accessible port-o-lets. I suspect that with crutches or a knee walker she isn't really going to need much accomodation (like wider toilets or accessible transport) but just basic transportation so she doesn't have to walk far.

The problem with the CARTS program in the past is that they didn't in past years have radios or even an organized cell phone contact with the drivers on the carts themselves which means it could take a while to get one dispatched to you. There are some other ad hoc assistance shuttles (Tony's Red Carpet, etc...). Still, the mobility scooter rental is probably her best bet in overall convenience.

Thanks everyone.

My question was actually triggered by the very same Aircraft and Camping description,"Designated aircraft camping accommodations for guests with disabilities are available in the North 40" I have not been able to find out what the "designated aircraft camping accommodations" are or if we need them or if we would be lacking said accommodations by camping elsewhere. I have asked the EAA folks, but so far we do not have an answer. However, we don't need very much, so perhaps I am overthinking it.

I talked to the vendor, Vista Mobility. They say that we can keep the cart all week (so we don't have to go back and forth to the main gate morning and evening) but do advise it might be difficult to find a plug-in for recharging. We are bringing a multi-tap outlet, so if we need to unplug someone we can plug them back into our electrical outlet. That is the thought, anyway. They also said there is a cell phone number on the cart, and that someone would come to our rescue if it broke down. We will see....

Thanks again.

Thank you for the CARTS program link! When I wrote my previous reply, I was thinking of the Vista Mobility scooter rental. I did not realize that CARTS is volunteers transporting people around Air Venture. We are going to owe a lot of thank yous before our week is over.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Just little note, The CARTS program is primarily for emergencies.
    Like you tweaked your knee and you need a ride back to your car.
    They take awhile to get to you.

If you want to be independent and move about at will, the Vista Mobility scooter rental is the answer.
    If you have scooter problems, Vista Mobility will bring you a newly charged scooter promptly.
    They have guys driving around the grounds with a ATV with scooters on a trailer.
    They are at your recuse fairly quick.
    You will find out that some scooters are faster than others and some will have better battery life.
    Their hours vary, they stay open later on days with a night airshow, so ask what their hours are.
    One thing they do is hang on to your driver's license while your renting the scooter.

Ideally you should get two scooters one for your wife and one for yourself, then you can really cover some ground.
    There is no lack of ground to cover at AirVenture.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 07-06-2019 at 11:50 AM.

You'll find outlets on the shower buildings and you'll find a plethora of things plugged in there from scooters to cellphones. A plug strip or cube tab will definitely help.

In regards to the Cart program, who can we call to volunteer there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    In regards to the Cart program, who can we call to volunteer there?
    Before the show starts, EAA main number 920-426-4800 ask for the contact number for The CARTS program volunteer Chair.
    or try Cassie Bruss Manager of Volunteer Programs at cbruss@eaa.org 920-426-4856
    After the show starts,You can get their phone number by calling Bus Park Tower (bus/taxi/limo info) 920-230-7932

The openings fill up quickly and I think there are two shifts.
    Something like 6-7:00 AM to 1-2:00 PM & 1-2:00 PM TO 6-7:00 PM.
    I think they start the program sometime during the week, before the show starts.

I think there is a board on the wall at CARTS Headquarters with a grid system for the week.
    For dates & times you plan on volunteering, you mark your name in a box on the grid.
    That is if there are any openings.

Some people have been volunteering at The Carts program for many years.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 07-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.