Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Newbie on tent camping at Oshkosh, how do I do this properly?

D2K, don't laugh but if you recall the old Saturday Night Live skit (back when that show was funny)...."cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, no fries, chips, no coke....PEPSI". If you remember that, then you know what is coming....if you need Coke for your adult beverage or all by itself....you better bring your own supply of Coke to Airventure, as it is "no Coke....Pepsi" at Airventure, too. If you are buying supplies on the grounds, or ordering at a concession on the grounds, you will have to suffer with Pepsi. Possibly that has changed but I doubt it.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Sponsors come and sponsors go. Oshkosh used to be a Coke show. They also had Canon as a press sponsor and Kodak (back when fill was still de rigeur). Now it's a Pepsi-Nikon show. Kodak disappeared even before the film concessions did. John Deere used to be a big sponsor but they bailed too.

I miss Canon. I'm primarily a Canon man because of what they'd do at Oshkosh. They made cameras and accessories available to borrow and even had early morning photography class. I have negs from borrowed cameras around here and when they switched to digital, they'd burn your stuff on CDROM when you brought the camera back. Being able to try-before-buy on this stuff was great (and I bought it). Nikon has never offered anything (other than what they pay the EAA for name placement).

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    D2K, don't laugh but if you recall the old Saturday Night Live skit (back when that show was funny)...."cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, no fries, chips, no coke....PEPSI". If you remember that, then you know what is coming....if you need Coke for your adult beverage or all by itself....you better bring your own supply of Coke to Airventure, as it is "no Coke....Pepsi" at Airventure, too. If you are buying supplies on the grounds, or ordering at a concession on the grounds, you will have to suffer with Pepsi. Possibly that has changed but I doubt it.
    My wife works on the marketing side at Coke. Basically, events like Airventure sell drink rights based on which major soft drink company offers the best financial incentive. It is all about the bucks.

I import a bunch of Diet Coke from Target (or the grocery store) every year. Several of the vendors right outside the main gate will sell you Coke products as well.

Not to mention Aeroshell Square is a thing of the past. Courtesy cars used to be provided by GM; now look how Ford has become so entrenched.
    Food services always is and has been a challenge for EAA. I liked the idea of bringing local restaurants. There was a couple of years when McDonalds showed up....I liked their system where your purchase was in whole dollars. Sure sped things up, OK maybe not fine dining.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Hahaha, I just got back from a short business trip and just read this! Good I don't drink soda....Pepsi is battery acid/paint thinner anyway

Just in case I missed it in another post, bring Sun Screen ! In 2016 I was in a 9 X13 tent with a separate 12 X 12 canopy and I think the only thing that kept the tent from blowing away was the fact that I had extra tie downs with good tent pegs and I was in the tent at the time ! The canopy didn't make it, it was secured plenty good but the top caved in from the rain and high winds. Good luck, and have a great time.
    Bob

And bug repellent, especially if you're going out to watch the night airshow. The mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    And bug repellent, especially if you're going out to watch the night airshow. The mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin.
    No, the mosquito is the state bird of Illinois.

Name:  State Bird.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  51.1 KB