Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie on tent camping at Oshkosh, how do I do this properly?

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    To say the majority of Camp Scholler is 24 hr generator is being disingenuous at best. The 24 hour generator takes up at best 1/4 of Scholler, stretching from the corner of Elm Ave and Stits Rd to the south and west. So they have made it larger, but they also consolidated it all in one area instead of having scattered spots. They also have a very small no generator area too, but no idea how well they enforce that.
    Look at the map of Scholler on the Airventure web site and add the 24 hr generator and water/electrical sites, and compare it to the rest of the campground. Maybe it's not 80 percent, but certainly well over 50 percent.

Also, looking at the map, they have converted the area just north of Camper Registration to a parking lot. Never camped in that area so I don't know if the whole area that's now parking was available for camping before, but at any rate, it is another reduction in the area that is available for tent camping.

I think the water/electrical hookup area has been expanded as well. I don't remember the area just east of the Red Market Southwest being water/electrical hookups last year, or that it went as far east as Doolittle Road. But OI might be wrong about that. (Each of those sites generates about $2k, compared to $300 or less for most of the regular sites.) (Based on having to pay for the water/electrical sites from the date of reservation, and anecdotal evidence that most of them are reserved on the first day they are available, and most regular sites being used 10 days or less.)
    Last edited by asport22; 05-17-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Excellent list! May I suggest adding:UmbrellaRainsuit or poncho. May be a large plastic trash bag with arm and head holes.Flashlight... so that you can find your way back to camp after the nightly movies or the night airshows.Camp site sign with your name, phone and email address on it.Extra camping chairs, so that you can have visitors to share your BEER and SCOTCH!Consider flying in with C2O next year: http://www.cessnas2oshkosh.com/

A post above talked about the transportation being free. However, I know that the bus to Seaplane base has a small fee. Bring cash.

Also, solely tent camping areas seem to be sparse and becoming more so. There are LOTS of people who make Oshkosh an RV destination; they're not really there for airplanes, but just as someplace to take the RV. They appear to come mostly for the afternoon airshows, if they go in at all. Lots and lots of kids (nothing wrong with that), the biggest issue being that they seem to be the ones driving the ATV's, mostly carelessly.

It's really only an issue when trying to find a spot, not having to listen to the generators, and making it safely back to your campsite at night.

Nonetheless, Oshkosh is awesome and all those RV people help bring income to our favorite aviation organization.
    Last edited by mcdewey; 05-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.

I'm a tram conductor myself, and as to transportation options once at AirVenture here are all the possibilities - yes the on-site school buses and John Deere pulled trams are indeed free.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/transportation/shuttles/shuttle-buses

Also check the maps for Uber/Lyft pickup/drop-off points.

"Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Figured I needed to follow up on this one. After long deliberation (and a little bit of luck and not minding driving a bit daily) I decided to go off site and not camp. I'm getting a bit too old to bother with all the noise and possibility of bad weather....it's just not for me. I found a campground with cabins around 25 miles out (Fremont,WI), a bit far, yes, but still a good trade off for air conditioning and a private shower As I'm driving all the way out there from NYC anyway a few more miles of driving daily really won't bother me. My sincere thanks to all who contributed to this rather awesome thread, I hope it helped at least a few folks who can deal with the joys of camping at a huge event, it just wasn't for me.

On a side note, if anyone also can't deal with the grind of camping at Oshkosh, I have plenty of room in said cabin for up to a couple if you want. I've already paid for it and am not asking for a single penny, I just hate to see the sofa bed go unused (it's a 1 bedroom cabin with queen bed and sofa bed, separate rooms). Just PM me on here if interested. Just know it's gonna be a 25-ish mile ride both ways each day and you're on your own for that unless we carpool to save gas I'm going to be there for the full week as well starting the Sunday before for check in to the following Monday for check out. Just thought I'd put this out there
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 06-17-2019 at 06:55 AM.

My motel is a 50 mile one-way run - 25 will seem like nothing. I'm interested to read your review of the cabins after AirVenture - I've seen them listed as an option on booking.com for several years now and always wondered.

I'm 70 myself and well appreciate the incredible, long lasting value of air conditioning and indoor plumbing. I don't need fancy, but when I'm out of town I demand my own private bed, toilet, sink and shower - lol A TV, fridge and microwave are simply wonderful bonuses, but not mandatory.

I figure the year I spent in-country "roughing it" in 1972 more than satiated any desire for minimalist accommodations.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 06-17-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    My motel is a 50 mile one-way run - 25 will seem like nothing. I'm interested to read your review of the cabins after AirVenture - I've seen them listed as an option on booking.com for several years now and always wondered.

I'm 70 myself and well appreciate the incredible, long lasting value of air conditioning and indoor plumbing. I don't need fancy, but when I'm out of town I demand my own private bed, toilet, sink and shower - lol A TV, fridge and microwave are simply wonderful bonuses, but not mandatory.

I figure the year I spent in-country "roughing it" in 1972 more than satiated any desire for minimalist accommodations.
    Hahaha, totally agree with you there
    I've been doing campground cabins for decades, me and my former partner had one on Lake George in NY for so long I lost count for our fishing boat excursions every summer. Fancy they ain't, but they have the necessary basics covered from toilet to bed to sink. The one I'm renting here even has a refrigerator and microwave plus a TV to boot so it's as good as a hotel room. This ones right on the water as well (and they have pontoon boats for rent just in case the fishing bug bites!). I do hope someone on here bites,lol, it would be a waste of a good bed if not

I just realized I forgot to mention the name of the campground, it's Bluejay Resort and campground in Fremont. They have great ratings on AirBNB so I jumped at it when looking for a roof with plumbing
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 06-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Driving in and out every day? Traffic is not light but is time consuming. Daily fee to park.

Not doing it this year but no one has mentioned the Aviator Club. Expensive but three nice meals and a private viewing area for the air shows. Very nice on the last Saturday when the “rif raf” comes in...just joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    Driving in and out every day? Traffic is not light but is time consuming. Daily fee to park.

Not doing it this year but no one has mentioned the Aviator Club. Expensive but three nice meals and a private viewing area for the air shows. Very nice on the last Saturday when the “rif raf” comes in...just joking.

This is why my husband and I do the Aviator Club Saturday. (A break from the Saturday rif raf.) It is expensive but a nice treat after a busy week of forums and workshops.

Or you can volunteer to work crowd control in Vintage. You can sit in front of the people in the VIP area and we provide water, gatorade, and mystery meat sandwiches and other snacks.