Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping with an ultralight

Camping with an ultralight

I am planning my first Oshkosh trip this year. After watching a lot of videos from the ultralight strip, I am considering bringing my 103 legal trike. Obviously I'm not flying it in and camping under the wing. Is it permissable to trailer in and camp in a vehicle in the ultralight camping area? I am not talking about a big diesel pusher rv, just a shortbed dodge pulling a single axle trailer.

On the AirVenture grounds itself I've only seen tents next to aircraft, never any vehicles or trailers. So I'll presume folks reserve a spot in regular camping areas? How they get their ultralights onto the grounds I don't know.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I think you may trailer through the gate only to unload your ultralight for display. Like Randy said, you may then camp next to it only with a tent (at EAA Ultralight strip, exception for paid exhibitors.)
    For vehicle camping, I recommend the Private campground just across the street. (Rellumdats? )

So you could display your ultralight in the tiedown display area. Then if desired, push your assembled ultralight to the runway and fly it. (no engine running in display area) And then park your vehicle at camping across the street.
    Need to read the NOTAM and attend 6am briefing if you intend to fly.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 05-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.

So basically, I would be paying to camp in the UL area and then paying to park my pickup in the campground across the street? (I would like quick access to my trailer and need to keep it close)

How close is the campground? Would it be possible to push my trike from there to the field every day for the UL demos?

Does everyone that fly the demos really live in a tent the whole week?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have never been to the big show before.

Perhaps I should just go this year and leave the trike at home so I could have a better picture for 2020, but I knowhat it would drive me nuts to stay on the sidelines while everyone else is having fun

Camping at Reuellendats is about half EAA price ($15 day last year) (there is no EAA car camping at ultralights anyway)
    Parking your aircraft on the field is free, if no camping. It's not like it will be full, or even half full.
    I think you could push it across no problem, but no point. Just tie it on the ramp.

Yes, probably good to watch a few days, ask questions about engine out procedures, etc. on your first visit.

Don't worry, there are NO dumb questions from first-timers to AirVenture. The place and the event almost has to be experienced first hand to explain it. It IS many-many times larger than you already think it will be and "close by" means a least a city block walk away from most anywhere to most anywhere else - lol. Check out the map below and understand that runway 18/36 is a mile and a half long, 9/27 is about a mile and a quarter. AirVenture is BIG, and I mean BIG.

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/Ai...frontback.ashx

I am a tram conductor, and I can attest that our free ground transportation is beloved by all by the end of a day.

Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 05-13-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Google maps sat view is handy. There is also a video of the ultralight pattern procedure.

They do have a webinar coming up on Ultralight/Homebuilt Rotorcraft Arrival Procedures on June 12, 2019, that you most definitely want to watch. Most of the people that bring their ultralights in they usually bring a trailer. If your ultralight has a N number or picture of it, I would love to know it so I can get a look at your machine. Thanks for your consideration on bringing it to the event. http://pages.eaa.org/WBN2019-06-12Ai...istration.html

Thanks for everyones input. I put in for my vacation today, so I am definitely oshkosh bound. I have decided to leave the trike at home this year.

Do you know the address or more exact location of the Reuellendats for camping next to the ultralight area? Thank you!