Thread: Registering a plane from plans. No make or model?

Registering a plane from plans. No make or model?

I'm building a weedhopper Model 40 from plans. Weedhopper "name" is owned by Scott McClure and makes some wing tip ends for it and that's it.
    Weedhopper Ultralight is out of business.
    I'm going to register the plane when finished because it will not be under 254 lbs and more of an airplane than an ultralight.
    My question is what do I put down for "Make" and "Model"?
    Since this is a scratch built from plans only can I put anything down as Make and Model?
    Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMartin View Post
    I'm building a weedhopper Model 40 from plans. Weedhopper "name" is owned by Scott McClure and makes some wing tip ends for it and that's it.
    Weedhopper Ultralight is out of business.
    I'm going to register the plane when finished because it will not be under 254 lbs and more of an airplane than an ultralight.
    My question is what do I put down for "Make" and "Model"?
    Since this is a scratch built from plans only can I put anything down as Make and Model?
    Actually, ANY Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft can be named anything the builder wants. If you're building from plans, I don't see any issue with using the "Weedhopper" name, unless you're doing a lot of modifications. I'd list "Martin" as the "Make," and "Weedhopper Model 40" as the model.

There are at least two registered as EABs:
    N145JB Make: WELCH JOHN T Model: WEEDHOPPER 2
    N7003D Make: LEITH CLIFFORD A Model: WEED HOPPER JC-24C

Not to mention one apparent misspelling:
    N6383G Make: GEYER STEPHEN WAYNE Model: GEYER WEEDHOOPER

If you don't want to give the Weedhopper folks the reference, you can certainly name it something else. There's a Beech Starship out there that's been re-registered in the Experimental category, the type is now "Enterprise" (N903SC). Its serial number is NCC-1701.

Ron "Fly long and prosper" Wanttaja

Thank you very much for the info.

This FAA Advisory Circular is pretty wordy but it has all the pertinent information about Amateur Built Experimental Aircraft. Good luck with your build.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-27G.pdf