Thread: D-Sub pin crimper

D-Sub pin crimper

I'm gathering "stuff" to have on hand for near-future use.

I've made cables before using D-sub connectors, and *had* a crimper for that purpose, but of course I now cannot find it.

Looking for crimpers specifically for pins to go in my d-sub connector shells, I'm confused by the pin I'll need. In ignorance, I thought they were all the same. But now I see there are PH2. 0, XH2. 54, KF2510, AMG28-20, JST etc pins.

What type of pin should I be concerned with for our typical E-AB connections? Yes, male & female...

Thanks...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl, I’m not a home builder but for my ADS-B installation I had great luck with SteinAir in Minn. steinair.com.

Their 4-way indent crimper was perfect for my needs and much cheaper than the “professional” (meaning tax-deductible) models. Basically there are two size pins, normal and high-density, depending on the connector, so you get the normal positioner with the tool and buy a $10 high-density positioner as an accessory. Same positioner works for male and female. Also buy the two sizes of the inexpensive pin insert/removal tool. For your multi-initialed-abbreviated-acronymmed pins, SteinAir can help you with that. Unless it’s a very specialized connector, I’ll bet one of the two standard sizes will do it.

SteinAir also has a good video library with tips for working with all kinds of cables and connectors. I recommend them highly. They’re at Oshkosh too.

Mike E

I wired my RV-10 so another vote for the Steinair SAT-004 4-way indent crimper. I too bought the High-density positioner ($10) for use with Garmin HD D-sub pins. If I was an avionics tech I'd buy the DMC crimper but it costs 10 times as much and the positioners are commensurately more expensive as well. For hobby use the SAT-004 works just fine. I would also highly recommend investing in a good spring loaded auto wire stripper and a ratcheting fast-on terminal crimper (if you plan on working on more than D-subs).
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Gents; thanks for the recommendations on the SteinAir unit. I already have all the other crimper tools, and as noted, HAD a d-sub tool about 10 years ago. Blasted thing still remains hidden or borrowed....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton