Thread: Video: GoPro - We've come a long way - Hero 4 / Hero 7 Compare

Video: GoPro - We've come a long way - Hero 4 / Hero 7 Compare

GoPro for Aviation has come a long way. In this video, we did a side-by-side compare of the GoPro Hero Black 4 and the GoPro Hero Black 7, showing the difference in quality and the incredible image stabilization feature of the Hero 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXrEQzxFk4

How's the Hero 7 vs. the Hero 5, as far as video stabilization? I don't seem to see much advantage to the Hero 5 stabilization.

This is all engine-induced, the video is pretty clean when I'm gliding.

Ron Wanttaja

How's the Hero 7 vs. the Hero 5, as far as video stabilization? I don't seem to see much advantage to the Hero 5 stabilization.
    Image stabilization was first introduced on the Hero 5 and then kept the same on the Hero 6. The GoPro has improved the stabilization on the Hero 7 with something called "HyperSmooth". You can put the Hero 7 on selfie stick and walk around shooting video and it shoots a nice stable video.

Here's a sample video that I shot a the Legend Cub factory with the Hero 7 on a selfie stick. (shown in the last half of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVswqL4XbDY

Quote Originally Posted by FunInAviation View Post
    Image stabilization was first introduced on the Hero 5 and then kept the same on the Hero 6. The GoPro has improved the stabilization on the Hero 7 with something called "HyperSmooth". You can put the Hero 7 on selfie stick and walk around shooting video and it shoots a nice stable video.
    The problem on my plane is engine vibration, which occurs at a much higher frequency than the camera sees when using a selfie stick, as well as less displacement. Which is why I'm skeptical Hypersmooth will help.

One thing that impresses me about the camera is even with the obvious motion, the individual frames are still very sharp.

Ron Wanttaja